If God Was My Roommate For A Day
God my friend
It is time to go back to college after the summer vacation. My mind has already started wondering about who will be my room mate this year as I have been all alone in the double-sharing room in the previous semester. Or will it remain vacant this semester too? So here I go packing all my bags along with my enthusiasm and curiosity.
On reaching my room I rejoice at the appearance of another person and shake hands with him. I introduce myself to him who says he is God. I am a little surprised but not in the least suspicious - why can't he be God after all? I am happy that I have God for company. His presence here with me will make my day I am sure and I wish to make the most of this proximity to God. How?
By asking Him to make me the wealthiest person in the world so that I don't have to study or work and laze around for the rest of my life? Or ask Him to make me powerful and strong to crush my enemies? Or beseech Him to make the world a peaceful and beautiful place to live in? Maybe the last wish, but no, I wouldn't ask Him to do the other two for me. Life has to go on and changing everything in a moment will not help. Instead, answers to a few questions will improve the quality of our life and change the way we look at life.
It would be wonderful to look at the world from God's perspective, wouldn't it?
"I cannot help thinking that the best way of knowing God is to love many things. Love this friend, this person, this thing, whatever you like, and you will be on the right road to understanding Him better" - VINCENT VAN GOGH
"God does not refuse to make himself known to man. He only will not do it by the symbolism of matter. He comes to us at once by the most natural course. We are in a transient state; our bodies are accidental, and God comes to us by that which is higher and truer--the intuitions of the soul" - HENRY WARD BEECHER
"Without the assistance of that Divine Being ... I cannot succeed. With that assistance, I cannot fail" - ABRAHAM LINCOLN
"God is a witness that cannot be sworn"- SAMUEL BECKETT
"The fullness of joy is to behold God in everything. God is the ground, the substance, the teaching, the teacher, the purpose, and the reward for which every soul labors" - JULIAN OF NORWICH
"Prayer is not asking. Prayer is putting oneself in the hands of God, at His disposition, and listening to His voice in the depth of our hearts" - MOTHER TERESA
Interaction with God
I had always considered such a situation before and have wondered what I would do if I really met God face-to-face. When the imagination became true now, I wasn't sure what and how I would talk with this man (?) -he was there right in front of me in skin and flesh, so I had to call him a man for the time being.
At his pretext, I sat down opposite Him and in a sort of a trance started asking many questions that have always been intriguing me and which no known person so far has had the right answer to. God was smiling at me as he was listening intently.
- Why should there be different religions?
- Why do we call You by different names? Why can't there be just one God, the Supreme Power?
- What makes human beings different from one another? Why are some people considered bad and why are others glorified as good?
- Why do my family and friends look at me differently as though I am a sinner when I refuse to visit the temple because I strongly believe that You are within me and I don't find the need to seek You anywhere else outside of me? I don't make this statement publicly for fear of attracting unsolicited remarks from the so-called 'traditional' and 'orthodox' groups.
- Is it wrong to say that God is love and Love is God?
- Why do people look at me quizzically as though I were insane when I tell them that You reside within each and every person and that we should have this in mind when we deal with every single person in our life and regard them with love and respect.
- Why are people afraid of religion and the society when it comes to belief in You? Shouldn't they be allowed to think and say what they think about You?
- Why are atheists looked down upon by some 'religious' groups and individuals? Again they have a mind and heart of their own and can think and act for themselves.
- Though I am a true believer I would have nothing to do with religious practices. Who brought in all these practices into the world? And, does refusing to follow religious practices imply that one doesn't like or love You?
- Why am I asked to think like the others? Why shouldn't I think differently? It doesn't make sense to me when people tell me to go with the world.
- Why is it that many people are rich and can get whatever they want while most go without one square meal a day? Why is this imbalance and how do You justify it?
Bidding farewell to God
At this God said, "Hold it, you have too many questions to ask and I have too little time to answer them. I am here with you only for a day and tomorrow I will be another person's roommate. I expected you to ask me a few things that I would have gladly granted like I did for a few others in the past week, but you have been asking only questions; I am surprised. Go ahead and wish something, I'll give you whatever you want".
"If that is so, then I have only one thing to ask for. The answers to all my questions I asked you so far." God was still surprised. "Granted. You will find all the answers within yourself" he said and bade me good bye.
I was in a sedated state after my meeting with God because his proximity made me feel closer to Him than I had felt all these years. I was excited that I was at last going to get answers for all the questions that had been building up in my mind for a long time. I was happy that I was able to meet God and spend some quality time with Him at least for a day. But the fact that He always resides within me gave me the feeling that I was not going to miss Him.