THE AUTHORITY OF THE LORD JESUS CHRIST: Part 5 of 6: In The Name of Jesus Christ
- God created man in his own image (God is love, God is Just, God is good, God is Holy, God is light, etc..), for man to have dominion over all the face of the earth.
- Christ walked in that dominion in his earthly ministry.
- Christ defeated the devil by the cross, being a substitute for the consequences of all sins.
- All authority in heaven and upon earth has been given to Christ.
- Believers in Christ have been delivered from the authority of darkness and have been transferred into the kingdom of God’s dear Son.
- The saints (us) have been governmentally seated with Christ in his power, authority and dominion.
- God gave his gospel to govern us.
- The saints are the majestic, the principle ones in all the earth, in whom is all of God’s delight.
Part 5 - In The Name of Jesus Christ
The saints have been placed in Christ and are, as such, representatives of him. In Christ we have the privilege of using his name to carry out his business. To speak or do in the name of Jesus Christ is simply to function in representation of him, or as Jesus Christ. For you to function in the name of Jesus Christ is as if he is the one functioning.
FUNCTIONING IN THE NAME OF ANOTHER:
1Samual 25:4-9 - “4 And David heard in the wilderness that Nabal was shearing his sheep. 5 And David sent ten young men, and David said unto the young men, Get you up to Carmel, and go to Nabal, and greet him in my name: 6 and thus shall ye say to him that liveth [in prosperity], Peace be unto thee, and peace be to thy house, and peace be unto all that thou hast. 7 And now I have heard that thou hast shearers: thy shepherds have now been with us, and we did them no hurt, neither was there aught missing unto them, all the while they were in Carmel. 8 Ask thy young men, and they will tell thee: wherefore let the young men find favor in thine eyes; for we come in a good day: give, I pray thee, whatsoever cometh to thy hand, unto thy servants, and to thy son David. 9 And when David’s young men came, they spake to Nabal according to all those words in the name of David, and ceased.”
MISCONCEPTIONS REGARDING “In the name of Jesus Christ”:
- The correct way to close a prayer.
- Must say the name to get the results – Acts 9:36-41, 13:6-11, 14:8-10.
- Use his name as signature on a blank check to get anything YOU want. "Name it and claim it!" This misconception generally comes from separting verses from the other various passages on the subject. Failure to adhere to scriptural buildup is a bit like finishing people's sentences for them. One such passage often used to support this type of error is, “Whatever you ask in My name, I will do it so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 If you ask Me anything in My name, I will do it." John 14:13-14 HCSB
THE CORRECT USE OF HIS NAME:
The power and authority in using the name of Jesus Christ are not in the actual use of the words. They are not magical words in and of themselves. The power demonstrated in the name of Jesus Christ is caused by the actual power and authority of Jesus Christ himself. His governmental position is of the highest authority and that is demonstrated when one functions in his name..
- “Behold, I give you the authority to trample on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing shall by any means hurt you.” (Luke 10:19 EMTV)
- “20 which he accomplished in Christ when he raised him from the dead and made him sit at his right hand in the heavenly places, 21 far above all rule and authority and power and dominion, and above every name that is named, not only in this age but also in that which is to come; 22 and he has put all things under his feet,” (Ephesians 1:20-22a RSV)
- “17 And these signs shall follow them that believe: in my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; 18 they shall take up serpents, and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall in no wise hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.” (Mark 16:17-18 ERV)
- “17 And the seventy returned with joy, saying, Lord, even the devils are subject unto us in thy name. 18 And he said unto them, I beheld Satan fallen as lightning from heaven. 19 Behold, I have given you authority to tread upon serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall in any wise hurt you.” (Luke 10:17-19 ERV)
- “Then Peter said, Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I thee: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk.” (Acts 3:6)
- “And his name through faith in his name hath made this man strong, whom ye see and know: yea, the faith which is by him hath given him this perfect soundness in the presence of you all.” (Acts 3:16)
- “And when they had set them in the midst, they asked, By what power, or by what name, have ye done this?” (Acts 4:7)
- “Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole.” (Acts 4:10)
- “16 As we were going to the place of prayer, we were met by a slave girl who had a spirit of divination and brought her owners much gain by soothsaying. 17 She followed Paul and us, crying, "These men are servants of the Most High God, who proclaim to you the way of salvation." 18 And this she did for many days. But Paul was annoyed, and turned and said to the spirit, "I charge you in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her." And it came out that very hour.” (Acts 16:16-18 RSV)
- 7) “9 Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, 10 so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 11 and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.” (Philippians 2:9-11 ESV)
INCORRECT USE OF HIS NAME:
- “11 And God did extraordinary miracles by the hands of Paul, 12 so that handkerchiefs or aprons were carried away from his body to the sick, and diseases left them and the evil spirits came out of them. 13 Then some of the itinerant Jewish exorcists undertook to pronounce the name of the Lord Jesus over those who had evil spirits, saying, "I adjure you by the Jesus whom Paul preaches." 14 Seven sons of a Jewish high priest named Sceva were doing this. 15 But the evil spirit answered them, "Jesus I know, and Paul I know; but who are you?" 16 And the man in whom the evil spirit was leaped on them, mastered all of them, and overpowered them, so that they fled out of that house naked and wounded. 17 And this became known to all residents of Ephesus, both Jews and Greeks; and fear fell upon them all; and the name of the Lord Jesus was extolled.” (Acts 19:11-17 RSV)
- “21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy by thy name, and by thy name cast out demons, and by thy name do many mighty works? 23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.” (Matthew 7:21-23 ASV)
- “For many shall come in my name, saying, I am the Christ; and shall lead many astray.” (Matthew 24:5 ASV)
- “18 If the world hateth you, ye know that it hath hated me before [it hated] you. 19 If ye were of the world, the world would love its own: but because ye are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you. 20 Remember the word that I said unto you, A servant is not greater than his lord. If they persecuted me, they will also persecute you; if they kept my word, they will keep yours also. 21 But all these things will they do unto you for my name’s sake, because they know not him that sent me.” (John 15:18-21 ERV)
OTHER NOTABLE SCRIPTURES ON THE TOPIC:
"40 He that receives you receives Me, and he that receives Me receives Him who sent Me. 41 He that receives a prophet in the name of a prophet shall receive a prophet’s reward. And he that receives a righteous man in the name of a righteous man shall receive a righteous man’s reward. 42 And whoever gives one of these little ones only a cup of cold water in the name of a disciple, assuredly I say to you, he shall by no means lose his reward." (Matthew 10:40-42 EMTV)
"15 And if your brother sins against you, go and show him his fault between you and him alone. If he hears you, you have won your brother. 16 But if he does not hear, take along with you one or two more, so that ‘by the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.’ 17 But if he refuses to hear them, tell it to the assembly. But if he refuses even to hear the assembly, let him be to you as a heathen and a tax collector. 18 Assuredly I say to you, whatever you bind on earth shall have been bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall have been loosed in heaven. 19 Again, assuredly I say to you that if two of you agree on earth about anything that they may ask, it will be done for them by My Father in heaven. 20 For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in their midst." (Matthew 18:15-20 EMTV)
“But the Comforter, [even] the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said unto you.” (John 14:26 ASV)
“And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.” (Colossians 3:17 RSV)
“For those He foreknew He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, so that He would be the firstborn among many brothers.” (Romans 8:29 HCSB)
“For as the body is one and has many parts, and all the parts of that body, though many, are one body––so also is Christ.” (1Corinthians 12:12 HCSB)
“Here there is not Greek and Jew, circumcision and uncircumcision, barbarian, Scythian, slave and free; but Christ is all and in all.” (Colossians 3:11 HCSB)
“for we are as He is in this world.” (1John 4:17b HCSB)
We are being trained in, and for, Christ’s government over all things. Christ’s authority is ABSOLUTE authority. Our training consists of functioning as his representatives; first, in accepting our placement in him; second, in functioning accordingly. Christ is Lord over all that is in heaven and upon the earth with the exception of God (1 Corinthians 15:27-28). We are as he is RIGHT NOW while we are in this world. Function accordingly!