jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (45 posts)

Quranic moral lesson

1. Eng.M profile image77
    Eng.Mposted 8 years ago

Quran says
    you may marry 2 , 3 or 4 wives    but
    *you mustn't see alot of other women
    *you may not do it if you can't treat them equally and it points that you wont be able to treat them the same

God says:(Give unto orphans their wealth. Exchange not the good for the bad (in your management thereof) nor absorb their wealth into your own wealth. Lo! that would be a great sin. (2) And if ye fear that ye will not deal fairly by the orphans, marry of the women, who seem good to you, two or three or four; and if ye fear that ye cannot do justice (to so many) then one (only) or (the captives) that your right hands possess. Thus it is more likely that ye will not do injustice. (3) ) )
    and said in the same Sura : (Ye will not be able to deal equally between (your) wives, however much ye wish (to do so). But turn not altogether away (from one), leaving her as in suspense. If ye do good and keep from evil, lo! Allah is ever Forgiving, Merciful.   : (129) )

as a matter of discussion , what do you understand ?

Reference
    Quran Muhammed Pickthal translation

1. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 8 years agoin reply to this

From the Bible I understand the saying, "you cannot serve two masters as you will betray the other." something like that.  Obviously not a precise quote off the top of my head. 

As I recall, again off the top of my head from the Qua'ran, that Allah had established the right way to deal in a family like this, that portions of the mans wealth goes to each of the children and to his wife. 

From what you wrote up above, I think it says, that the obvious like written in scripture, that if a man fails to give the enough attention to his wife, she will wander and to her she has committed a sin (adultry I suppose) as it was also written in scripture that adultry is committed when in your eyes or thoughts you have had thoughts of other men whether you have acted on the thoughts or not, it makes no difference. 

I think also from what you wrote, that it is pretty natural for a man to seek many lovers but it is almost criminal to take many wives because a woman (from my perspective anyways) seeks just one man, so then if the one she wants, wants to have another than she is not being fullfilled and caused to sin. 

And then back to the Bible, it says, for the ones who caused another to stray, then the sin shall be upon you. 

As for the part about "absorbing wealth into your own wealth", that to marry for money is a crime to your heart as we know nowadays that people should marry for love regardless of their material status, and thus people who marry for love stay together as cleche' as it is today, "for richer for poorer, in sickness and in health, till death do we part."- the traditional value of the marriage has been disasembled and doesn't mean much today.

1. BDazzler profile image82
        BDazzlerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Pretty good from the top of your head Sandy!

"No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to the one and despise the other. - Matthew 6:24

"But whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to sin, it would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck, and he were drowned in the depth of the sea. " - Matthew 18:6

1. profile image0

LOL, thanks BDaz, I was hoping you come with the scripture!  Though I like my version of Mathew 18:6 better.  smile

You can put it in your re-write big_smile

2. Eng.M profile image77
        Eng.Mposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Islam has handed the responsibility of the family to the husband as a ship can't run with two leaders equal in authorities   but
        the man should be judgable , biased and take his wife's opinion seriously

a man can't serve two masters is also mentioned in Quran ( I'll quote if you want)

thanx Sandra for sharing and all the best luck

1. profile image0

awe!  The Bible also mentions this.  Says something like, "the women is the rock of the family".  Says that the husband is the head of the house hold as God is the head of man, but that his wife is the keeper of the home and thus you must listen to her because without her your family falls apart. 

Good to hear from you and thanks for commenting back.  Yours is much simpler than mine.  smile

That's a fair synopsis of Proverbs 31. smile

1. profile image0

Should I add that too, to the re-write? lol smile

I need to hook you up with a buddy of mine - he's doing his own version too ... for example, he's going to translate the passage ...

"Be still and know that I am God"

to

"Shut the F* up and just listen!"

1. profile image0

ROTFLAO!!!!  lol

2. Eng.M profile image77

glad Sandra
            catch ya later

2. Nickny79 profile image68
      Nickny79posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for sharing this from your Holy Book--there are many here who can profit by hearing something new, even if they may disagree.

Perhaps you can tell us something about the Sufi's and the mystical traditional of Islam, which is a fascinating topic for many in the West.

Many of your readers are ignorant of the fact that a good portion of Classical Greek Literature was preserved by Islamic scholars--one notably example is the remaining corpus of Aristotle's work.  This is something I mention in passing in my recent hub about Aristotle's Metaphysics.  Perhaps you have something to share on this topic as well.

1. Sufidreamer profile image82
        Sufidreamerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Good call, Nick - Islamic history is a passion of mine (hence the name).

I second the motion! smile

2. Eng.M profile image77

You got that

I 'll present my understanding in a thread

thanx

I don't know , sorry

3. mohitmisra profile image61
      mohitmisraposted 8 years agoin reply to this

This is just too confusing for me;)
      GIRLS

Why in the world did you make girls?

Some so beautiful my head I have to twirl.

Does she know in me she creates a sensation?

I have started thinking of the word creation.

So many around so gorgeous,

My mind seems frivolous.

How the hell am I supposed to just stay with one?

I want all the pretty ones as they come,

Then these things I want none.

I know they are all but your form,

The rose comes with the thorn.

Show me the path I pray to you.

1. goldentoad profile image60
        goldentoadposted 8 years agoin reply to this

There's a strip club I can take you.

1. mohitmisra profile image61

Why is that the only place you meet woman ? Dont have then in India smile

No, I'm kidding man, I'm retired from the strips clubs, and I wouldn't take you to one either, you're a good guy and I wouldn't want to ruin you.

Was in the Merchant Navy for 8 years ,have travelled all over -been to some joints smile

Ever been to Tijuana Mexico?

No but Chile,Brazil and Venezuela in South America smile

Oh man, you're an international playa!! Bet you have some good stories to tell!

2. profile image0

OMG!  ROTFLMAO!!!

It's a great poem Mo, you are very much a man.  wink

wink thank you very much. smile

You're too smooth, my man! I need to get me some poetry that works, all I know is dirty rap songs

I was just being honest and It was appreciated by an honest person smile

I will definitely agree with you on that.

smile

2. Make  Money profile image83
    Make Moneyposted 8 years ago

Two men from a break away Mormon sect in British Columbia, Canada have been charged with polygamy.  One has been reported to have fathered about 80 children by 26 wives, some as young as 15 when he allegedly married them.
    http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columb … kmore.html

1. profile image0

ewww, not even gonna go there!  Some people shouldn't even father one let alone 80....80! OMG!!!!  Gross, with 80 children and 26 wives, I am sure has no time to read scripture.  *shuttering*.

1. Eng.M profile image77

he had no time for nothing

1. Make  Money profile image83
          Make Moneyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

big_smile Yeah like a rabbit.

1. Eng.M profile image77

it's nice to be a rabbit sometime but not all of it big_smile

1. Eng.M profile image77

Eng.M wrote:

it's nice to be a rabbit sometime but not all the time big_smile

2. Eng.M profile image77

isn't torrible ?

3. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 8 years ago

Ya ever read the Mark Twain account of Mormons in his first book
    'Roughing It'? Little bit funny.

4. profile image44
    rinasings2uposted 8 years ago

respect all religions ... i think is the basis of every religion

5. Mezo profile image71
    Mezoposted 8 years ago

i have nothing much to say after this...thnx for the topic and to sandra for the comments...people tend to look at muslim women as oppressed ....but if some muslim women are obressed it's the fault of men, the fault of the society...not the fault of religion and not by any means you have the autority to humiliate a human in the name of any religion..

having the man as a leader because he's the one capable of "hard" work...the one who is obligated to do whatever he can to feed and raise his children and keep his wife safe and satisfied (wether she works or not, he's responsible for her!)

Women are the ones who raise men...without women there's no family...
    sounds strange ? tongue

c ya

1. Eng.M profile image77

Can't say more

thanx MeZo

working