jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (12 posts)

What is the purpose?

1. lovetherain profile image57
    lovetherainposted 4 weeks ago

Of humans/humanity?

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 4 weeks ago in reply to this

Whatever you choose to make it...for yourself.  As far as a purpose for humanity, the closest thing to that would be to survive.  Just as the "purpose" of any species is.

1. BuddiNsense profile image60
        BuddiNsenseposted 13 days ago in reply to this

I would say "procreate", rather than survival.

wildernessposted 12 days ago in reply to this

Keeping in mind that it is survival of species, not individual, I'll stick with survival.  Not only does "procreate" lose meaning when applied to an entire species, but procreation does not guarantee survival or even reproduction.

Still mostly semantics, though.

1. BuddiNsense profile image60
            BuddiNsenseposted 12 days ago in reply to this

Does it lose meanin, Because species turn to other species... rarely does a species remain static. Species either die out or becomes new species.

Think so.... It appears both words mean the same, one in species level and another individual.

As I said, mostly semantics.

But species always becoming a different species; given the number of mass extinctions our ball of dirt has seen, that concept is likely more false than true.

2. BuddiNsense profile image60
      BuddiNsenseposted 13 days ago in reply to this

It's complex question fallacy, like "do you still beat your wife?".
      The question should be "is there a purpose for humanity?"
      And the obvious answer is "No".
      I make a pen or house for a purpose, but the hill beside my house has no purpose, it, simply, is.

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image86
    Kathryn L Hillposted 4 weeks ago

The purpose of humanity/humans is for each one to enjoy being alive.

1. Will Apse profile image88
      Will Apseposted 4 weeks ago in reply to this

Horatio Walpole, 4th Earl of Orford  probably gave you that notion, much bounced around.

Certainly, 'Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness' seems to owe more to Horace than anyone else.

If you want to understand the ideas that underpin the foundations of the US, the English Civil War, and how the differences were resolved is the place to look.

The French made a study, of course. And that is in the US psyche, too.

3. Live to Learn profile image81
    Live to Learnposted 4 weeks ago

Looks as if we have 'survive' and 'be happy'. I think the purpose is to find a way to do this collectively.

4. Knight6 profile image69
    Knight6posted 12 days ago

There is none, humans or humanity act and behave like a virus, destructive where ever it goes devours all natural resources and does more damage the longer it stays, The human race started life as a combination of two amino acids which was pure chance and grow and developed into what it is today self destructive animals who destroy its own kind for no good reason and in the process the planet it lives on.it serves no purpose what so ever. And i count myself in that.

Yes, humanity is composed of living organisms and behaves like all other living organisms.  It uses resources and changes it's environment; it will even destroy itself given time and opportunity.

working