jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (15 posts)

Is religion a personal issue or a collective matter?

1. Naveed Ahmed 624 profile image84
    Naveed Ahmed 624posted 7 weeks ago

I mean should states be involved in legalizations or regulations related to religion if it is a collective matter, and if not, should it be left-up to the complete freedom of the individual to define norms and practices of his / her religion? And if it is left to the individual, how can the society cope with the cons of differences in individual beliefs and acts?

1. Live to Learn profile image79
      Live to Learnposted 6 weeks agoin reply to this

Belief is personal. Religion is collective. The more individual the belief the less of a danger it is to society. Collective belief which manifests into adherence to religion is dangerous primarily because it seeks to dictate belief of the individual, seeks conformity within the group and usually seeks to force its collective belief on those who do not share it. So I would say having the state legislate belief sets a very dangerous course for a free society.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 7 weeks ago

Beliefs are personal, actions that significantly effect the wellbeing of others are civic.

3. AshutoshJoshi06 profile image92
    AshutoshJoshi06posted 7 weeks ago

I think one's faith is their own but if practicising their faith influences or impacts others, than it becomes a collective matter. However as a whole the state should and has every right to interfere even if it concerns an invidual's rights. Referencing the third world specifically. That said, again would not apply for dictatorial regimes or monarchy as there's hardly individual fundamental rights there.

If a state does take up a practise of one faith and legally abolish or set restriction to it then we shouldn't be jumping guns and viewing it as attack on religion or religious freedom, rather as a societal reform. I'll take an example from my country, the recent ban on Triple Talaq amongst Muslim faith or if you go back a little then Child Marriage ban amongst the Hindus. Here the opposing fraction especially the conservatives are or were not actually doing any good to society or the religion by opposing and fuelling unrest.

Coming to the last part, although there should always be a defined environment to practise religion but supposedly if there is enough freedom to practise one's religion and the bs that accompanies it (applicable to all faiths) then I guess its upto people of one faith to ensure their freedom doesn't encroach upon others.

1. wilderness profile image98
      wildernessposted 7 weeks agoin reply to this

Of course a state enforced (or banned) religion is an attack on freedom of religion.  As soon as a single individual cannot choose and practice any religion (s)he wishes, that freedom is being abridged.

Naveed Ahmed 624posted 7 weeks agoin reply to this

Agreed provided the freedom of choice of a religion doesn't allow actions that translate into troubles for the societal peace and harmony.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
        psycheskinnerposted 7 weeks agoin reply to this

Which may or may not be a problem.  One person my have a religion that requires them to murder witches, but their neighbor may be a witch.  Communities do regulate religious *actions*, because some religions try and regulate the lives of people who are not members of that religion.  In secular nations, that is not allowed--which I am very much in favor of.

Agreed.

4. paradigmsearch profile image94
    paradigmsearchposted 7 weeks ago

Actually, there is no such thing as religion.

Religion up to a certain point is philosophy.
    Religion beyond a certain point is politics.

1. Castlepaloma profile image75
      Castlepalomaposted 7 weeks agoin reply to this

Religion mixes deep with military and politics yet used more like tool for their means to an end- control and greed.

On a personal level religion is used more as a social culture for organized superstitions.

1. paradigmsearch profile image94
        paradigmsearchposted 7 weeks agoin reply to this

Wow. Well said. Use of the phrase,"organized superstitions", will make you unloved by many, but you already know that. lol

I can't use use populous fake love. Give me more kindness and freedom. Then I will share  more of a friendier and loving world for all and all for one.

2. Naveed Ahmed 624 profile image84

So you mean religion has no real existence! Well it's your choice. But 90% of human intelligence doesn't reject the belief of a religion (one or the other). And it mandates that religion is not a superstition.

Your from Bahrain, said to be the happiest place on earth.

Imagination was long before Religion was made up. I don"t know your Religion yet Hindu being oldest Religion had pass down many of their imagintive ideas to Judaic Christainity. Then so on to other religions with more collective stories choices by council. Religion exist through mans imagination of it.  You imagine religion as intelligent. If I pretented to agree with everything about your religion, you would think I am intelligent too. It's design for obedience, not the open deeper guestions for most part.

The history accounting to the Bible is mostly false, so the history dose not work neither.

Since the earth's mass is 99% unknown collectively to mankind. Meaning humans are not that intelligent and humans are the most dangerious animal on this planet. I can pick another species I am more impress with. There are plenity of other humans that would think alike along with me.  Am I any less intelligence than a person who perpares their entire life for heaven and lives for the goat herders guild to the Universe?

5. colorfulone profile image86
    colorfuloneposted 7 weeks ago

We are individuals, period.

working