jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

if spells are mainly concerned with our own energy, why do we need oils and doll

1. profile image46
    whatsit2uposted 7 years ago

if spells are mainly concerned with our own energy, why do we need oils and dolls etc?

Hi there I was just wondering why so many spell casters use things like dolls/oils /herbsetc etc , do these enhance the spell, if so how?

2. MickS profile image72
    MickSposted 7 years ago

it is all in the mind, you don't need props if you can focus your mind without them.

3. Kelley Harmon profile image72
    Kelley Harmonposted 7 years ago

They're to facilitate a state of mind. A lot of people do believe in the importance of ritual though.

Also, specific oils and herbs have very different effects on a chemical level. Colors and symbolism trigger certain reactions in your mind. Theoretically, you shouldn't need the props. I just find that they help quite a bit.

4. nochance profile image94
    nochanceposted 7 years ago

Props like candles and stuff are used to focus your energy on something. That's why most spells I've seen require candles to give you something to focus on. Most people have a tendency to get distracted while they're doing something like that. Props are used to help you focus. If you are able to focus extremely well then you don't need the props, but it takes a lot of practice to get to that point.

5. GdessLacey profile image57
    GdessLaceyposted 7 years ago

The oils and herbs and other items are to direct your energy and to store that energy where it needs to be. They empower the spell with added energy that is why you should empower them before you use them. The more energy you use in the spell the more power it has. Every thing has its own purpose to help give purpose to your spells.

6. vesper noir profile image57
    vesper noirposted 7 years ago

Objects such as candles help provide a focal point for one's energies and concentration, and that is why they are sometimes used in meditation as well. Other tools are used in ritual settings, and also in spellwork to act as a conduit for one's energy. Sometimes they are also used to help distinguish the difference between the sacred and profane. This subtle difference in the environment or surroundings of a ritual space can mean the difference between everyday occurrences and special circumstances.

Oils are often used to "dress" candles and sigils. I find that a candle burns differently with the use of oil than without. Herbs are often incorporated into candleburning, or used to dress an altar, or are used in other ways (like mojo bags, incense, etc.)  Herbs and oils stimulate the brain via olfactory senses, or sense of smell, and also lend energy to spellwork.