jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

If the formation of all matter is ultimately energy & has consciousness of some

1. keepitnatural profile image73
    keepitnaturalposted 7 years ago

If the formation of all matter is ultimately energy & has consciousness of some sort, then is...

everything alive, even books, picture frames etc?

2. Sam9999 profile image59
    Sam9999posted 7 years ago

Perhaps we need to change our definition of life. Maybe consciousness is the definition of life???

3. PaulGoodman67 profile image98
    PaulGoodman67posted 7 years ago

Matter and energy have such a close relationship that they are for all intents and purposes the same thing.  I don't know where you got the "consciousness" thing from though?

4. Mark Upshaw profile image60
    Mark Upshawposted 7 years ago

My belief is that all things have life and you can find that in the Bible and plenty of  other primary religious texts.

5. peterxdunn profile image60
    peterxdunnposted 7 years ago

I would say not (but I wouldn't bet my life on it).

An electron is thought to be a 'material' particle: a sub-component of an atom. Yet you would still be correct in describing it as energy oscillating within a small space (at least when you go looking for it - particle/wave duality not withstanding).

An electron will also react to its surroundings (evidence of life?) - it will be attracted to some objects in its environment and be repelled by others. The question is - does it exercise choice (evidence of conciousness?) in these matters?

6. JDeAngelis profile image61
    JDeAngelisposted 7 years ago

energy and consciousness are two different things. Our consciousness is meta-physical (undetectable) and doesn't exist as energy or in any form in fact.

Nothing really exists except that part of us which cannot be measured and all aware beings have consciousness and matter but not all matter has consciousness.

7. profile image0
    Butch Newsposted 7 years ago

Where do you derive the concept that matter has consciousness?

There is no such concept in any branch of science.  And it defies the definition of consciousness.