jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Are there any wars that are justifiable?

1. callumevans profile image59
    callumevansposted 7 years ago

Are there any wars that are justifiable?

2. Debby Bruck profile image72
    Debby Bruckposted 7 years ago

Good question. Everything in the universe has polar opposites to balance the yin and yang of life. The harsh reality tells me, "yes" in certain situations, a war may be needed to make peace. Sad, but true.

3. MickS profile image73
    MickSposted 7 years ago

Yes and no.  When the 1st world war started, the government in Britain was going through a bad time, there had been mutiny in the dockyards, and then by a tenuous link we get dragged into a war, it wasn't necessary, just politically expedient, (NO).  WW II, there was this lunatic intent on world domination marching across Europe, killing everyone who didn't agree with his politics and using various ethnic groups as scapegoats, (YES).  Vietnam, a war at a time when the US would prop up any corrupt despotic regime provided it stopped communism, (NO).  The Falklands,  The cow Thatcher government in Britain was failing and we were dragged into a war in much the same way as WWI,  when the earlier, Labour government received intelligence about the plans of Argentina, it sent a gunship and everything stopped; we must assume that the Thatcher government had the same intelligence and chose to ignore it, thereby setting a wave of cheering and flag waving that killed people but let those in power grasp on to power, (NO, there were other ways around the problem).  Afghanistan and the various other conflicts in the Middle East.  I believe the world would have been much more dangerous had we not started to exercise some form of control over Islamic extremists, and note I used, extremists, extremists groups are always in the minority but cause the most trouble, (YES).

4. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 7 years ago

well that would depend on who is doing the justifying. any war can be justifyable though the majority of people wouldn't think it was. if you are defending a country or it's people then to me that makes a war justified.