jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

What is the significance of sacred springs in Russia?

1. Chuck profile image91
    Chuckposted 5 years ago

What is the significance of sacred springs in Russia?

On my two most recent trips to Russia friends have taken me to visit local sacred springs.  The two I have been to have been located in rural, wooded areas and each had a small Russian Orthodox  church or chapel next to it.  People swim or bathe in the spring and bring bottles to take water from the spring home.  But I have been unable to discover what makes a spring sacred, the tradition behind sacred springs and the role, if any, they play in the Russian Orthodox religion.  I do know that the springs are not like holy water in the Roman Catholic Church.

2. Izombiheartzoey profile image76
    Izombiheartzoeyposted 5 years ago

The significance of the sacred springs in Russia is human gullibility.

3. profile image51
    lincolnandersonposted 4 years ago

In some areas of the world water flows with heavy salt and minerals that were known to help heal the body. Some sacred pools became "Sacred" because someone had a vision, or deeply spiritual experience there. Often the vision was of the Divine Mother. In ancient times the Essenes used sacred bathing before every spiritual practice. Mostly, the interaction of the person wishing to be cleansed to have a more prepared body for prayer and healing, and the water flowing in what makes it "Sacred". Hope this helps? any thoughts?

1. profile image50
      ken1975posted 4 years agoin reply to this

That's the first time I've heard the Divine mother being connected specifically to a spring. When I hear of the Divine Mother I often think of the mother of Jesus Christ or a perhaps the archetypal mother. Does the Divine Mother term refer to a speci

4. profile image50
    ken1975posted 4 years ago

I know that Russians take energy healing for much more seriously than those in the US do. It seems indigenous cultures routinely recognized the benefits of natural energies that could be found in Springs or perhaps mountains. It seems the Russians similar to the Chinese have not thrown that knowledge out window when they modernized. I do wonder what the churches are doing next to Springs. I wonder if The spring was a common meeting place.

1. profile image51
      lincolnandersonposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Places where Mother Mary has appeared become sacred. I've heard of Mary Magdalene refered to as Divine Mother too. I found a lot at www.thetruejesus.org and also much on ancient history, perhaps there's more there on Sacred Healing Waters.

5. celafoe profile image58
    celafoeposted 4 years ago

scripturally = absolutely nothing   it is a figment of the imagination of men