jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

What 'crossroads' legends or stories do you know?

1. buckleupdorothy profile image81
    buckleupdorothyposted 5 years ago

What 'crossroads' legends or stories do you know?

There are tons of stories, legends, and metaphors that involve crossroads - please share any that you know or that have played a role in your life.

2. MickS profile image71
    MickSposted 5 years ago

Only the Robert Johnson one - mediocre blue guitarist went missing - when he came back he was brilliant because he had sold his soul, in return for the skill, to the devil at a crossroads.

3. Doc Snow profile image95
    Doc Snowposted 5 years ago

Literally, the well-known story of blues guitarist Robert Johnson allegedly selling his soul to the devil in exchange for outstanding guitar ability.  This story has been linked to Johnson's song:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_Road_Blues

Metaphorically, the figure of the Roman god of doorways, Janus (after whom the month of January is named.)  He looks simultaneously backward and forward, which speaks to the nature of choice, I think--especially in light of his association with the New Year, and its resolutions, memories, promise and (sometimes) regret.  Certainly, as a 'January baby,' he speaks so to me--so much so that I wrote a 20-minute orchestra piece that I named after him.  (Alas, no recording is available...)

1. buckleupdorothy profile image81
      buckleupdorothyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I love the Robert Johnson story - although I suppose you know that musically inclined sociologists did some research and discovered that there were approximately 4 Robert Johnson musicians whose life-stories had melded together. noroomleft - bugger!

4. Civil War Bob profile image60
    Civil War Bobposted 5 years ago

Well, I think the most famous Cross Road is the Via Dolorosa up which Jesus carried His cross on the way to Calvary.  That played a role in my life almost 32 years ago and took me from the corner of No and Where (thank you, Capt. Malcolm Reynolds of "Firefly") to the Long and Narrow Winding Road that leads to the Celestial City (thank you, John Bunyan with Pilgrim's Progress and The Beatles).

working