What is the fuss about Jesus having a wife? is this a metaphor?

1. alexandriaruthk profile image77
    alexandriaruthkposted 5 years ago

What is the fuss about Jesus having a wife? is this a metaphor?

Does it matter if Jesus had a wife? Will it change the views of Christians? What do you think?

2. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

I believe as a Christian, we need to stick to Scripture and what it tells us about Christ.  Speculating is counter productive.  Scripture does not mention him taking a wife - so for me it is a non-issue.

3. Ceegen profile image79
    Ceegenposted 5 years ago

Jesus' "wife" is the "church", not some earthly woman. He had no need of one, being God in the flesh and all that. Most all claims of Jesus having a wife comes from people trying to make Jesus "just another guy" -- A mere human.

A big part of this faulty idea is that because Jesus had women followers, He must've had a wife. Right?

While the bible is silent on the matter of Jesus having a spouse, I am sure that if Jesus did have a wife it would have been mentioned somewhere in all the "New Testament" documents. But, it isn't, and so we must conclude that He simply didn't have a wife. Something like that about Jesus' life, would be too important not to mention.

Jesus elevated the status of women to that as equals among men, which was radical thinking in that time period. This is but one reason why Jesus was so hated within the synagogues, and why there were some false stories about Jesus having a wife, or multiple lovers, or some other nonsense. furthermore, there definately would be some kind of prophecy about it in the OT, but, there is not a single reference to a flesh-and-blood wife at all in relation to prophecy. That would've been astronomically important information.

As an aside, here is a *great* article about how Jesus treated women: