jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Do you think the new Pope Francis can make a difference?

1. alexandriaruthk profile image77
    alexandriaruthkposted 5 years ago

Do you think the new Pope Francis can make a difference?

To uplift the reputation of the Catholic church?

2. Globetrekkermel profile image77
    Globetrekkermelposted 5 years ago

Let's face it.The Pope is 76 years old. Realistically, the age is a big factor when it comes to making a difference in people's lives.Also consider the facultative factors that is involved in making a difference in people's lives. A 76 year old  cannot be relied in making informed and wise decisions  especially with the magnitude of  papal responsibilities that concerns over a billion catholics worldwide.I would not trust it. I have lived with 4 popes including Francis in my life time and I have yet to find how they(these Popes) have made a difference in my life.So therefore, I have a very ambivalent answer to the question.Not their fault that they were chosen, but a much younger pope should be chosen instead of an older one to be a more effective leader to lead the flock.

3. robjlee profile image60
    robjleeposted 5 years ago

nope- its the blind leading the blind and nobody gets to be pope unless they art part of the system they are expected to change.

4. Agnes Penn profile image81
    Agnes Pennposted 5 years ago

All Pope's have made their mark; some for good, some not so good.  People make the mistake of judging the Catholic Church as a political, peer-pressured group.  No popular vote is needed to follow Church doctrine. 
    The Church is a family.  Pope does not mean king or president.  It means father.  How can you compare how one father teaches their children to another father? (Considering they're both upright people.)  The Pope does not need to uplift the Church's reputation; only teach It's members how to be good Catholics in an otherwise challenging world. 
    And with his life Francis has already given witness on how to be a good Catholic and relate well with other people.