jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Can someone tell me what this is and what it is used for?

1. J.S.Matthew profile image82
    J.S.Matthewposted 2 years ago

Can someone tell me what this is and what it is used for?

I am aware that this is Jewish because of the Hebrew script. A friend of mine found this and gave it to me. What is it and what is it used for? Thanks!

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12811343_f260.jpg

2. fpherj48 profile image76
    fpherj48posted 2 years ago

I'm just guessing...but to me they look like candle holders (for tapers)...perhaps used during hannukkah?

3. Besarien profile image84
    Besarienposted 2 years ago

Hard to get a good look. I think Paula is onto something though. They might be Shabbat candleholders for travel.

4. junkseller profile image85
    junksellerposted 2 years ago

Shabbat is the Jewish day of rest. The two requirements on that day are to observe and remember, which are symbolized by lighting two candles at the beginning of the Shabbat (just before sunset on Friday).

The candles are usually lit by the woman of the house and involve a ritual which includes a blessing.

Not being Jewish, I can't give a deeper explanation, but I think that is the gist of it. As Besarien noted, the intent of these small foldable holders would probably be for travel

5. Robert Levine profile image83
    Robert Levineposted 2 years ago

Junkseller & Besarien have it:  they're Sabbath candleholders.  Jews light a minimum of two candles to begin the Sabbath each Friday night; parents w/children light an extra candle for each child, at least when at home.  I think Besarien is right that these are meant for travel, due to their small size; at home actual candlesticks are more common.

working