Will the morals you have today be the same morals you have tomorrw?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (15 posts)
  1. profile image60
    KingdomComeposted 2 years ago

Will the morals you have today be the same morals you have tomorrw?

How do you determine good morals? And have they changed over time? What I believe to be morally right has not changed much in 45 plus years. But I have seen morals of others change in a short amount of time. I seen people ( some within my own family) change their morals about different subjects that completely surprised me. Has political correctness replaced morals? Regardless of politics or religion each of us have morals. What I define as good morals may not be the same as someone else. Personally, I have no plans to change my morals for anyone.

2. Rich kelley profile image60
    Rich kelleyposted 2 years ago

2Peter 1:5  Now for this very reason also, applying all diligence, in your faith supply MORAL excellence, and in your MORAL excellence, knowledge,

The question after reading the scripture should be who’s moral excellence? I believe it is God’s standard not ours. My understanding is that God would like us to follow His guidance and rules, not our own.
    There is an ongoing problem, what was once taboo is now ok, what was wrong is now right, what was black is now white, what was right is now wrong. When morals and values change you can be sure that it is not because God has changed. He doesn’t change.

James 1:17  Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Today the world cannot accept that God hates some things. Today the world will twist the scriptures to suit their behavior and life styles. Today those that are changing themselves to be more Christ like are diametrically opposed to those in the world that want to accept any and all behavior as ok. The grace of God is not there for us to continue in any behavior we desire. The condition on grace that most don’t want to accept is repentance.

Scripture warns us to not associate with certain types of people.

1Corinthians 15:33  Do not be deceived: "Bad company ruins good morals."

Yes, I hope my morals are changing to become more Christ like, it is a journey. God has told us if we want to be with Him we are to follow after His son Jesus.

1. profile image60
      KingdomComeposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Rich- Many thanks for your answer. I too believe the bible has the best guideline for moral standards. But there are many whose morals are based on other sources. Where do they get their moral standards?

3. Ericdierker profile image46
    Ericdierkerposted 2 years ago

I certainly hope my morals have grown and been refined by time. I would hate to think that 50+ years have been wasted not learning. I do my best to have God shape my morals and I certainly hope that He changes my mind as I grow more mature and understand more. I have had different callings throughout my life. Emphasis needed to be placed in certain areas. Now that is not my calling. Now it is my calling to view all things through love and that sets a standard for my calling. God brings me to understand that he has put it in some hearts to relate the words of wrath. I understand he has many to follow this road. The moral imperative there is to judge all things harshly. A very high moral ground.
    Mother Theresa was quite knowledgeable about the Bible. Her moral imperative was almost exclusively focused on love and compassion. It was not her calling to judge other peoples actions.
    Perhaps right and wrong never change. And perhaps our moral code changes when we are called not to be the judge of that on others. I no longer need to be right, I need to be compassionate.

1. profile image60

Eric- Thanks for your answer. I believe that good morals can and should be improved upon. What I have a hard time understand is why does some people have good morals and then go in a completely different direction later in life. This baffles me.

2. Ericdierker profile image46
      Ericdierkerposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I think that I might find myself distancing myself from God's blessings from time to time. But I have a Christian support group of friends and family that simply will not let me backslide and lose sight of repentance as a constant companion.

3. Rich kelley profile image60
      Rich kelleyposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Eric
      We are all trying to love like God and His son. They are able to love without condoning bad morals/behavior, may we learn the same.

4. Ericdierker profile image46
      Ericdierkerposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Yes indeed that fine walk between tolerance and condoning on one side and correction and standing for something on the other, is one that can only be guided by God.

5. manatita44 profile image83
      manatita44posted 2 years agoin reply to this

My Friend Eric seems to be pointing us to the Lord. So I need not comment here. As long as we are receptive to Grace - God's goodness and His mercy - we will and indeed must find a guiding Light in His Compassion. True morals follow the way of Love.

4. tamarawilhite profile image92
    tamarawilhiteposted 2 years ago

When you have relativistic morals, they can change based on the moment and what you want to justify.
    Base morality on a set of guidelines and/or religious code, no.
    And you don't want a society where everyone's morals are flexible and changeable - because then there is no reason not to say you can't murder someone or steal their stuff. After all, if morality is relative, you have no basis to say what they do to you is unacceptable, especially if their friends side with them.
    Nor is majority opinion a moral basis, because 90% voting to murder or enslave the other 10% is allowed if it is decided by 50%+1.

1. profile image60

Tramara Wilhite- Thank you for your answer

5. Angele Parris profile image77
    Angele Parrisposted 2 years ago

This is a good question.

I taught math in public school. The students are allowed to challenge the teachers. The reasoning to justify such behavior, is to eliminate weak teachers in a large city, with so many applicants.  The students are allowed to put numbers anywhere on the paper.  It is the teacher's responsibility to determine the sequence of the operation to the final answer, and this is done to prevent cheating.

The house I live in has the master bedroom on the other side of the house. The master bathroom has an enclosed toilet, two sinks, and some come with a jacuzzi and shower stall.  This is to prevent too many buyers.

Conditions and reasoning like these I believe usually lead to changes in morals.  It becomes a little frustrating when one is set in one's ways.

Which brings us back to the question how does one determine good morals?

1. profile image60

Angele Parris- Thanks for your answer.
      This is part of the issue with good morals. If "students" had good morals, he/she wouldn't cheat in the first place. Sound to me like teachers go through a goat rope to teach, because students lack morals.

2. Angele Parris profile image77
      Angele Parrisposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Do you know of the pants below the waist issue that boys face today? Some mothers have to buy the pants in big sizes. Some students ask me if they could use a calculator to check the answer.  I was told that  calculators only make the students cheat.

3. profile image60

Angele Parris- Thanks again for your comment. There are many parents out there who don't have the courage or good morals to teach their own children. To me there is no excuse. Regarding calculators, I have no opinion for or against it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)