The Unity in Duality

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (28 posts)
  1. A.Villarasa profile image61
    A.Villarasaposted 11 years ago

The common thread that weaves thru all entities in the universe is their dual essence. Duality is  the governing principle....it is what keeps all of nature in total symmetry and harmony. Energy/Mass, Matter/Anti-matter, body/soul, physical/spiritual, male/female, positive/negative.

The non-duelist relationships of these  dual  realities must always be maintained so as to keep the order {non-total chaos} that pervades man and his universe.

Solely from man's perspective, the ties that binds his physical and spiritual nature, should and could be made stronger, by eliminating from his EGO-system concepts ( objectivism, reductionism, atheism) to loosen those ties.

1. profile image0
      jomineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

When space expands and time dilate friction develop that cause energy to constrict and release the positive field which will interact with the antimatter to become a wave continum. Here the physical laws will end and the dichotomy disentangle or the potentiallties are released.

1. couturepopcafe profile image61
        couturepopcafeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Jomine - If both space (expands) and time (dilates) grow, how will there be friction? Why would it release positive fields (of energy?) If, in fact, that did happen, your wave continuum theory might hold but it wouldn't negate any physical laws (of duality). It would serve to theoretically enforce them.

1. profile image0
          jomineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If one balloon is placed by the side of a plant that grows, won't there be friction where the plant touches the balloon?

Actually what I wrote was just gibberish, a sarcastic imitation of the OP. But you felt there is some meaning in that because I used words from which people can discern a meaning. If, instead, I had defined the words you could easily understand it was all nonsense. Try for yourself, define the word space and expand and see how it goes.

A.Villarasaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

@jomine:
            I can imagine how sarcasm would work in your reality (inside the goldfish bowl)....but it does not work in mine(outside the goldfish bowl).

2. A.Villarasa profile image61

@couture:

In his latest book titled The Grand Design, Stephen Hawking acknowledged the existence of duality consistent with what he termed as a "model dependent realism in all of the universe from the sub-atomic to the cosmic. He wrote that the concept, specifically of wave/partocle duality ,i.e. the idea that an object could be described either as a particle or a wave, and more generally of situations in which 2 very different theories(or realities) accurately describes the same phenomenon( or object) occurs mre consistently than what would be predicted by chance alone.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

I think most things are on continuums.  it is just a habit of the human mind to see them as dichotomies.

I@psycheskinner:
      I'm not sure if the dichotomies you are referring to are one and the same thing as the dualities tha I'm inferring. The only continuum that I'm familiar with is that of Space and Time. Almost everything else in the universe are unitarian in the sense that one could tease them as singularities but whose essence is dualistic.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
        psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

By dichotomy I mean that the things referred to as pair, perhaps opposite all actually relate in different ways--we turn all kind of different things into pairs/twos/opposite regardless of what they are.  For example
        Energy/Mass--where is space? What about light which is both?
        body/soul--One of these is literal, the other arguably does not exist or does so only in a conceptual space. What is life? Both?
        male/female--certainly a continuum, and some people opt out of it entirely. XXY, intersex, etc.

@Psycheskinner:
          The universe, from the chromosomal to the cosmological...from the terrestrial to the astral, is admittedly replete with aberrations. What I was specifically alluding to are those entities are those entities that  have not been affected by aberrations either in their creation or evolution.

Einstein believed that energy and mass are the same thing that  exist in a continuity that is space and time.Man/Woman are enwrapped in a singular entity called Homo Sapiens, notwithstandin episodic gender identity disorder.

3. Druid Dude profile image60
    Druid Dudeposted 11 years ago

Now who is the duality metaphysicist?smile

@ Dude:
      Metaphycisist have gotten an undeserved bum rap from their more mainstream cohorts.

4. Jewels profile image83
    Jewelsposted 11 years ago

You can't really say that duality is spread through the universe.  On earth it certainly is, we are subject to gravity.  Remember duality is a human concept.

To be honest I'm not sure where duality ends in cosmology and cosmogony.

Interesting talking about the ego.  I prefer to look at the ego as a transformable element in our humanness.  Yes it is that part of us subjected greatly to the forces, those forces use us like a pendulum.  Without an ego we would not have a way to animate ourselves - mindless we would be.  But to attain a transformed little ego is no mean feat.  It's damn hard.  Having Unity in duality would be to walk the line between the two. Going beyond means you are no longer in duality.

As yet we have absolutely no concept of an existence beyond the ego.  Except for those extraordinary sublime states of consciousness where the light is so bright, your heart is so full and warm and you have lost all contact with your physicalness, you would not be able to perceive of an existence beyond the Ego.  Those sublime states are the closest we humans get, and they are rare experiences for we humans.  But in those states there is no concept of duality, just a sense of union.  It is not absolute union (Nirvana) otherwise we would not be able to come back and speak about it!

Going beyond the mind while being a human is the key aim for serious spiritual seekers.

Everything we understand begins, to our understanding at least, as a concept. IMO the concept of duality is no different. It exists because of its own nature, not because we've labeled it as such.

The idea of duality implies two sides that are distinct and polar opposites, one can't be experienced without the other. They're, by nature, overarching, inseparable, and must coexist (preferably in harmony).

Sidebar: It shouldn't be confused with dual-mindedness, where there is a 'sitting on the fence' sort of thinking, not being able to commit to any particular school of thought, for example.

5. TNB profile image61
    TNBposted 11 years ago

We live in a world that contains the undifferentiated potentiality of every development. Humans are largely malleable and context-dependent beings and are capable of anything depending on their circumstances.

Yes, one of the most adaptable mammals known (rats and foxes being two others.)

6. jacharless profile image74
    jacharlessposted 11 years ago

Duality is generally parallel. right-wrong; good-bad, etc.
    Quality is triangular or euclidean, connecting the ends of duality by the bending of both.

Physic is spirit or rather condensed spirit.
    Mass is energy condensed that forms weight and gravity.
    Body-soul are the same {body-brain}.
    The consciousness emulated from the brain is also energy.
    Consciousness is the Euclidean Connector.

Light carries THREE properties, not two.
    Positive, Neutral and Negative.
    Project, Absorb and Reflect.
    Protonic, Magnetic and Electric.

So Duality is limited to Cause-Effect.
    Quality attempts to unite them equally, to keep itself sustained and keep Purity at bay. Quality is the Unity in Duality.

James.

I think I can agree with this if by quality you mean harmony and by purity you mean one side becoming pure and without (the necessity for) the other pole. But I'll disagree that quality (or harmony) is the unity in duality. IMO, the unity is simply that duality exists. It's united by its nature. The parameters of duality are set, as you say, in a cause and effect, one cannot exist without the other, whether balanced or unbalanced.

1. jacharless profile image74
        jacharlessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Purity, from my viewpoint, defines a superseding of duality -and even quality.
        Yes, the "scale" of cause-effect is Duality itself.
        Quality is the Euclidean concept that states these two can be harmoniously expressed; further believing that Duality united is truth.
        The Arch of Quality bends for both, to balance rise-set; cause-effect; action-reaction which gratifies (satisfies) both elements, essentially neutralizing them.

Purity, supersedes then, for lack of necessity.
        Where there is necessity, there is duality, partitioned by desire/hope.
        quality assurance filters that desire to balance the equation and temper the madness.

James.

1. Druid Dude profile image60
          Druid Dudeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There is also a duality in the polarity which does extend up to galactic proportions, and, if there is a macro universe of which our reality is a part, then the positive/negative polarity will hold true for the entirety of this reality. I really don't think that it really is optional. There is no 'choice' in the matter, just a realization and acceptance of it. We, living things, are elemental. In death, our elementary components add back into the essence. We are more when we pass than we were when we were conceived. We are more than the sum of our parts, and everything recycles. We move from an elemental reality and back again, everchanging, and neverchanging.

2. couturepopcafe profile image61

jac - We may be saying the same thing - or not. I can agree with all of what you're saying except for "where there is necessity, there is duality". Perhaps the necessity of duality lays in one not existing without the other and in this I take your point - if we were talking about consciousness, I'd agree completely. But we're not talking about consciousness, which is the realm of desire and hope. The duality of nature is, as DD says, elemental not metaphysical.

Thank you. I don't believe in 'metaphysics'.

Even God is understandable once we take the supernatural out of the equation. If everything is this reality is connected, then we would expect to have some kind of 'relationship' to an entity of a divine order, or rather, what we would consider divine. Noetics heavily suggests this, and the fractal nature of the cosmos supports it.

Agree completely and have always thought this. Even for 'believers', the Word tells us (them) we are the image and the likeness of the divine, one and the same. Here's a theory: When Jesus appeared on the third day in a ball of light, he was appearing as our potential, pure energy. He allegedly came to earth to show us how to live. When all else failed, he came back as light/energy to say, "look, this is what you can be - this is what we all are'.

7. Druid Dude profile image60
    Druid Dudeposted 11 years ago

The negative aspect to this, our positive reality, becomes the spiritual reality, yet, in truth, which one constitutes the true reality. One depends on the other for the balance which nature demands. Both are true.

8. kess profile image60
    kessposted 11 years ago

If I may....

Duality the second highest order of existence.
    Singularity being the highest which is perfection in every way.

Duality is when the ultimate but conflicting forces are made apparent to their true nature.
    Because of their nature if is difficult for them to unite where each one's nature is preserved for one will always seek to dominate.
    Think in terms of light and dark....combining to two you get neither light nor dark, and both suffers lost.

This world is the epitome of duality, it is built upon the best combination of duality without attainning singularity.
    Or I may also say it this way...it has developed a type of  singularity that is so effective, in that it is easily accepted as the perfection that singularity is.

It is seen in the attitude of those of this age, a sense of resignation made popular  that by the song "that just the way it is, somethings will never change"...

So most are find contentment  within the cycles, the up and down, happy sad, life death, day night.

Seeing the possibilities of better but resignation to the belief that it is unattainable. So they seek solace through the religion of this world, that better will come but only through death, and through death cometh Life, the perpetuation of duality stopping just short from singularity.

Not realising that within the duality, it is always the negative that is supreme.

But just as succesful as duality continues to exist, it cannot in no way be compared to the perfection of singularity..

For the in perfect unity which brings about singularity, both the conflicting elements are employed in a manner that is most effective for maintaining and perpetuation the perfection of the Unity.

It just a matter of understanding the nature within duality and having each within its proper place.

@kess:
      your philosophic musing about unity in duality ....singularity as you call it is interesting. Hawking however flatly said in his latest book, The Grand Design, that philosophy is no longer useful in explaining the inner/outer workings of the physical universe.

1. kess profile image60
        kessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Did you believe such an ignorant statement?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)