Beijing Olympics 2008 : 10 Most Exciting Venues
"Olympics" the word that brings cherish in our minds is yet to begin. Whole world is on the way to Beijing. Now we are only days behind for the grand finale to begin. All together 205 countries will be participating in the 2008 Olympic. China and Chinese people are now absolutelt ready to celebrate this feast of games.
I am here with the 10 most exciting venues for Beijing Olympics 2008. Most venues are located at Beijing itself and additional six cities, namely Hong Kong, Qingdao, Qinhuangdao, Shanghai, Shenyang and Tianjin, will also co-operate with Beijing. Now Check out the Exciting Venues
1) National Stadium Beijing, also called the Bird's Nest because of its unique design, is located at Olympic Green and lies over an area of about 63.8 acres. The stadium is designed by the famous Swiss architect Herzog & DeMeuron and China Architecture Design Institute. Construction of the stadium commenced in December, 2003. The stadium, located at Olympic Green, Beijing, is owned by the Government of People's Republic of China.
2) National Indoor Stadium is an indoor arena stadium, constructed for Beijing Olympic, 2008. Located in the Olympic Green, the stadium will host artistic Gymnastics, trampoline and handball. It is also the proposed competition venue for Wheelchair Basketball during the Paralympic Games after the Olympics. The National Indoor Stadium is located in the south of the Olympic Center.
3) National Aquatics Center, among the most impressive venues in Beijing 2008 Olympic Games, is located at Beijing Olympic Green. Nicknamed Water Cube, it would host swimming, diving, synchronized swimming, and water-polo. The Centre is located on the north part of Beijing Central Axis and incorporates the historical and cultural features of Beijing. It is one of the most dramatic and exciting venues for the Olympics 2008.
4) Laoshan Velodrome, acclaimed for its excellent design, is a 250-metre oval shaped track, located in the eastern part of Beijing at Shijingshan District. Laoshan Velodrome is a brand new venue for track cycling, exists near the fencing center of the State Administration of Sport. The three-storey building would host Beijing 2008 Olympic and Paralympic Games.
5) Shunyi Rowing Canoeing Park is a venue for the Rowing, Canoeing, Kayaking and 10 kilometre marathon swimming events in the 2008 Summer Olympics. Located in the Shunyi District in Beijing, it has the seating capacity of 27,000 people and over 6 square miles of water. Construction commenced in 2005 and was completed by mid-2007. Park will host the Rowing, Canoe/Kayak Flat-water, Canoe/Kayak Slalom, and Marathon Swimming.
6) Beijing Wukesong Sports Center Baseball Field is an indoor stadium developed for baseball competition in Beijing Olympic 2008. One of the largest buildings in the west of the city, the Sports Center is located on the western part of the Western Fourth Ring Road. The Centre spreads over an area of 63,000 square meters. The baseball field includes two competition fields and one training field.
7) Beijing Shooting Range Hall, likely to be the venue of the first gold medal awarded at the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games, is a magnificent shooting hall located in Shijingshan District of Beijing. Qualifying rounds and finals of ten shooting events at the 2008 Summer Olympics would be held at Beijing Shooting Range Hall. Shooting events held here would consist of all 10, 25 and 50 metre events.
8) The China Agricultural University Gymnasium is an indoor arena, made for holding wrestling competitions in the 29th Olympiad, located in the East Campus of China Agricultural University. The gymnasium will also play host to the volleyball seating competition during the Beijing Paralympic Games. The venue covers an area of 23,950 square metres. Construction of the gymnasium commenced in the first half of 2005. It was ready for public use in July 2007.
9) Peking University Gymnasium is an indoor venue, developed for holding table tennis competition in the Beijing Olympics 2008. The Chinese name for table tennis is ping pong qiao. The venue is just 8 km away from the central Olympic Village. Peking University Gymnasium is the world's first sports venue designed and built for table tennis competitions.
10) Beijing University of Technology Gymnasium, located at the campus of Beijing University of Technology of Chaoyang District in Beijing. The venue would Badminton and Rhythmic Gymnastics events in the Beijing Olympics 2008. The gymnasium includes a competition hall and a warm-up hall. Four building floors are above ground while one is below ground. The venue has the world's largest prestressed suspension dome ceiling 93 m in diameter.