Review of the Victorinox Swiss Army SwissChamp Knife
History of the SwissChamp
The Victorinox SwissChamp is a serious knife. First brought onto the market in 1985, it was designed and marketed as the headline pocket tool of the Victorinox range with 33 separate functions contained within its 22 separate tools, all encased within a compact 3 1/2" knife that weighs just 200 grams.
It was, and still is, the perfect knife for any person who likes to get out and experience the great outdoors
The Features of the Swisschamp Knife
- Large blade - For anything from whittling to cutting some soft Brie
- Small blade
- Can opener with small screwdriver
- Bottle opener with large screwdriver & wire stripper - A great beer buddy
- Pliers with wire cutter - Small wire cutters but really useful pliers
- Wood saw
- Fish scaler with hook disgorger & ruler
- Metal saw with metal file & nail file
- Magnifying glass
- Reamer with sewing eye
- Phillips screwdriver
- Corkscrew - When used correctly, it will be your best drinking buddy ever
- Wood chisel
- Fine screwdriver
- Mini screwdriver - If you wear glasses you will eventually need a mini screwdriver
- Ball point pen - A godsend when filling out visa applications
- Straight pin
- Tweezers - Great for removing splinters
- Key ring - Speaks for itself!
New Out of the Box
The SwissChamp's Pros and Cons
Any knife that has so many functions will have some cons for the casual user. Based on my own observations and a dedicated group of users, here are both the pros and cons of owning the Victorinox SwissChamp.
- 20 separate tools
- 33 separate functions
- Multi-tool functionality
- Lifetime Warranty
- Come complete with the micro screwdriver and the ever popular corkscrew
- Comes in a presentation box which also includes a comprehensive description of each tool and its uses
- Is quite a bulky knife and as such can be uncomfortable to carry around in your trouser pocket. The purchase of a sturdy pouch to attach the knife to your belt is a much better option.
- The magnifying glass in this knife is made of quite flimsy plastic, so if you drop the knife whilst the magnifying glass is extended you will more than likely snap it clean off the knife. Replacements parts can be difficult to obtain and fit.
The 50 Function SwissChamp XLT
The Victorinox SwissChamp XLT
The SwissChamp XLT
Not satisfied with the 33 functions provided by the SwissChamp? Then you really should consider upgrading to the XLT version. The XLT comes with an amazing 50 different functions which includes everything the basic SwissChamp has as well as:
- A bit wrench and bit case
- 5mm hex socket
- 4mm hex socket
- #0 Pozidrive bit
- #1 Pozidrive bit
- 4mm flat head screwdriver
- #2 Phillips head bit
- 4mm hex bit
- #8 Torx bit
- #10 Torx bit
- #15 Torx bit
- And of course a pharmaceutical grade spatula
This is the knife you want to have with you if you end up on a deserted island!
Get Your Own XLT
With 50 separate functions, what more could you ask for? Except maybe the amazing XAVT
The Amazing SwissChamp XAVT
A Quick Introduction to the XAVT
Victorinox Swiss Army SwissChamp XAVT
So you didn't think that the SwissChamp series could get any better than the XLT, well the people at Victorinox beg to differ as they designed the XAVT. This behemoth has an amazing 80 functions and apart from the overwhelming Wenger Giant, it is the most comprehensive knife/multi-tool in the Swiss Army world.
Apart from having all the functions of the XLT the XAVT also includes:
- White LED light
- Combination tool with cap lifter
- Watch opener
- Digital clock
Just to name a few. If the XLT was the knife you wanted on a deserted island the XAVT is what you want if you found yourself abandoned in a galaxy far, far away. A bit too big to put in your pocket, get yourself a sturdy pouch to attach it to your belt and you will always have access to every tool you will ever need.
This is the ultimate multi-tool.
The Amazing XAVT - All You Will Ever Need
80 different functions including an array of digital readings. For its size the XAVT is an amazing piece of kit which will replace an array of separate tools and devices, leaving you free to get on with your next job/adventure.
Other Great Swiss Army Knife Reviews
I have owned a Swiss Army for over 30 years and whenever I venture on even the shortest trip I make sure one of my collection comes with me. If the SwissChamp isn't quite what you are looking for, then check out one of the comprehensive reviews below.
Never be caught out again with the perfect Swiss Army knife.
The SwissChamp not for you?
- A Review of the Wenger Giant Swiss Army Knife
The Wenger Giant showcases the entire range of features available in the Swiss Army Knife range. A perfect gift for the avid collector. Everything you need to know about the Giant is right here.
- Choosing the Best Travel Knife - The Swiss Army Knife
Are you heading off on the trip of a lifetime? Then you need an all purpose travel knife in your pack. What should you be looking for and what is the best on the market are all here in one place.