jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Tips for Fishing Tourneys

1. Dame Scribe profile image60
    Dame Scribeposted 8 years ago

Tips for Fishing Tourneys

Write up a conglomeration of tips for winning Fish Tourneys as it is the season.

2. Dale Mazurek profile image71
    Dale Mazurekposted 8 years ago

Very good idea,  Will get to work on it this afternoon.

3. 1st Choice profile image60
    1st Choiceposted 8 years ago

#1 and MOST Important During the off season do all your maintaince work so you will be ready on day 1 don't wait till the last minute you will forget something.
    #2 During the off season you get a chance to retie all your favorite lures (worm harnesses ex...) make jigs, check your rods and reels, new line on ALL reels.
    #3 Know your schedule this means do your homework make some calls to buddy's that have fished there before do google search.
    #4 getting to the tournament body of water ahead of time. this is the most important time of the tournament. Your going to find those spots that your going to fish. 
    #5 Stick to the program. You may have to move  but there not to far from where you were when you were catching

4. StevieDow profile image56
    StevieDowposted 8 years ago

I am late to answering this question but maybe for next season. 
    You have a whole lot better chance of winning if you can pre-fish a given body of water a few times before the tournament dates. Get a good quality topographical map if it is an impoundment or a chart. You need to see depth contours and structure. 

Plan your tournament day strategy. A "game plan". Plan in detail exactly where you plan to fish and how you will do it. And plan several areas or spots and how you will fish those. Many times the fish were there the day before but will be gone the next. Plan your strategy for changes in the weather. It happens. What lures, baits etc. Have those rigged on the rods the night before or before you start the tournament. I have fished tournaments where it was as simple as who ever made the most casts in productive water usually won. Productive water will be determined by species, season, water temp, life cycle, available habitat, food source, etc. Have everything organized and ready on your boat. 
    I could give you more information if I knew the species, the season and the body of water type. 
    You have given me ideas for a hub or two. Thanks!