This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: "https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr"

bought property and put our 5 wheel camper on it. We had a 100 amp electric serv

1. profile image47
    billy debig bovoeposted 7 years ago

bought property and put our 5 wheel camper on it. We had a 100 amp electric service put in. The...

guy put  a 220 breaker in when I hooked up my trailer the vcr and microwave caught on fire . Now I am plugged in and have the 30 amp 110 breaker in and have no power to anything. I hooked the tester up and it says hot ground reverse. What could be the problem? It is a 1993 holiday rambler 5th wheel what can it be

2. Randy Godwin profile image92
    Randy Godwinposted 7 years ago

You do know your RV operates on 110 volt AC and not 220 volts, right?  A friend wired the receptacle backwards while installing an RV hook-up on his property and ruined his refrigerator.  it worked for a while (don't see how)  but eventually caused problems.

Make sure the ground is connected to the correct leg in the receptacle if this has been recently added.  You should only be using one leg of the 220 volt breaker in the main box to supply the required 110 volts to the pigtail!  The pigtail has 2 grounds and 1 hot wire. 

If the receptacle is connected to both legs of the 220 breaker you were sending 220 volts to everything in the RV!  Hope this helps!

3. Powerful Pierre profile image78
    Powerful Pierreposted 7 years ago

Hey Billy  avoid electrical things altogether, I commented on your last question and this one is similar. Get a schematic from the dealer on the electrical wiring and plz plz don't try to repair it yourself or get the dealer to look at it as they are the real  professionals. Good luck here too!

working