jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

How would Rangers and Celtic fare in the English Premiership?

1. Fuller_legend profile image82
    Fuller_legendposted 7 years ago

How would Rangers and Celtic fare in the English Premiership?

Football (soccer)

2. christoss1959 profile image74
    christoss1959posted 7 years ago

Probably midtable or close to the relegation zone. The premier league is too high quality for both Rangers and Celtics to chase a top for 6 spot.
    Just look at their budgets and compare it with any midtable team they have less than the midtable teams..

3. michael ely profile image72
    michael elyposted 7 years ago

At the moment i think they would both struggle pretty badly, and they would quickly need to generate money from TV revenue to improve the players in both squads.   You only need to look at some of the star players from both teams who have went down to play in England over the last few years and have struggled. Also, the other way-players who are probably past their best in England come to Celtic or Rangers and are seen as major stars.

4. profile image51
    17thStoryposted 7 years ago

Pretty sure they would struggle to begin with but with the history and the fanbase would start to do better once they were established. They may well be better off starting in the championship and working their way up as the immediate gulf in quality from palying SPL teams every week to premier leagure teams may be a bit much. The gap has definitely widened over the last 10 years, in the mid to late 90's I could have seen them making a push for top six but now it would take a few years to consolidate (although I still think they'd get there)

5. Donnacha C profile image79
    Donnacha Cposted 7 years ago

not only would Celtic and Rangers struggle, there would be huge issues regarding discipline of the players as well....Howard Webb & Co. would most certainly have a pretty difficult job to contain those players. I would say both teams would be probably at lower mid table to relegation zone....

6. rich_hayles profile image58
    rich_haylesposted 7 years ago

With a place in the premier league comes a huge increase in revenue through TV rights and merchandise sales. They would also gain more world wide recognition and increase there fan base. It is likely that ticket sales would improve as fans want to see there team play against high quality opposition.
    The improved finances would allow these already relatively successful teams to build on there squads and compete at a higher level. I don't think they would do as badly as many believe they would.