jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How to get into mountain climbing (mountaineering)?

1. Ultimate Hubber profile image63
    Ultimate Hubberposted 6 years ago

How to get into mountain climbing (mountaineering)?

2. profile image0
    fordieposted 6 years ago

I loved trekking but always swore I wouldn't do anything that required ropes ...

... then in New Zealand I did a bit of rock-climbing and found that being roped up felt good so signed up for a mountaineering course.

Would certainly recommend that you check out courses wherever you are. There are lots of things to learn, and being shown by an expert will boost your confidence and allow you to progress more quickly afterwards

3. supplies expert profile image61
    supplies expertposted 6 years ago

I agree with fordie's answer, I too wasn't sure how I'd feel about climbing with ropes, I was always a big fan of just a long hiking expedition.  But about 8 years ago I took up a mountaineering course and I loved it, now I do it as often as possible...

But as for getting into mountaineering or mountain climbing... I would definitely recommend finding a local business that offers classes.  There's a ton of places in which offer classes to help you learn the basics and give you some ideas onto what you can do in the future.  A great site to check out is www.nols.edu, I plan on going on one of those courses at some time throughout my life, they all look so amazing.

4. CyclingFitness profile image93
    CyclingFitnessposted 6 years ago

If you'd like to ease yourself into it, a friend of mine has just got back from a tripo to the Italian Dolomites. Look up Via Ferrata which is a version of climbing/ mountaineering

Or have a look at www.exodus.co.uk who offer beginners via ferrata holidays

Hope this helps you

working