Should promotion/relegation exist in major league baseball.

1. Brian Weekes profile image60
    Brian Weekesposted 6 years ago

Should promotion/relegation exist in major league baseball.

Do you think that Major League Baseball should have a two tier promotion/relegation system so that large clubs outside of the Major Leagues could hit the big time?

2. Dobson profile image81
    Dobsonposted 6 years ago

As a lifelong fan of baseball I am comfortable with the system we have in place. I have only recently heard of this system as used by soccer. While I understand the concept, I believe the gap between established teams and those in the minor leagues now would make this move impossible.

The established major league cities also have major league size stadiums for their teams to play in. Minor league cities on a whole do not focus the financial commitment or the supporting businesses to make the proposition work.

Also, the "have nots" of baseball change pretty rapidly, showing that once a loser always a loser is not always true. The four teams in the final rounds of the play off were from what is considered small market towns.

3. tswilson profile image59
    tswilsonposted 6 years ago

I like the promotion/relegation system, but I think the circumstances are different.  I am not sure about this, but I think that in the soccer leagues where that system is used, the clubs are not associated with each other.  The minor league is a feeder system to the majors.  Minor league teams are affiliated with a major league ballclub.  Therefore, it doesn't really work to have them competing with each other.  Teams put their top talent in the majors.  I suppose a team could split their talent and try to have two teams in the majors and make more money under that system, but it is a rather implausable situation.  There are indepent baseball league teams, but they don't attract a very high level of talent.

The system could be made possible if the concept of the farm system was abolished.