Baseball - A question?

1. itsameanoldscene profile image60
    itsameanoldsceneposted 6 years ago

Baseball - A question?

Why is the annual event called The World Series when it is only contested by North American teams?

2. Bill Yovino profile image90
    Bill Yovinoposted 6 years ago

Wikipedia says that beginning in 1884, 'The series were promoted and referred to as "The Championship of the United States", "World's Championship Series", or "World's Series" for short.'

I guess it was easier to say "World Series" than "The Championship of the United States", so that's the name that stuck.

3. RWC149 profile image68
    RWC149posted 6 years ago

That is a good question...I have never even thought about that. I think because back in the days when baseball started back in the late 1800's, america was really one of the only countries to have the sport, if not the only one. so at the time the winner truly was the best team in the world. But now with cuba,and Japanese leagues becoming huge, it would make sense to have the winners of each league play in playoffs to find out who really is the best team in the world. Not like the world baseball championships, where its country all stars vs. country all stars. They should make the game between best teams from the leagues.

working