jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What are ten exercises people with joint problems can do to lose weight and keep

1. Cardisa profile image92
    Cardisaposted 6 years ago

What are ten exercises people with joint problems can do to lose weight and keep fit?

2. Resolver2009 profile image67
    Resolver2009posted 6 years ago

Hi Cardisa!

Depends on what you mean by joint problems really..? Degenerative changes (OA or DJD) in the knee-, hip-, sacroiliac- or lumbar joints perhaps?

Good non-stressing exercise would be swimming, pilates, yoga, redcord training, subtle horseback riding, crosscountry skiing, stability training, mat exercises, aqua-training and cycling; all of which place almost no stress on the joints in question.

Stability training for stomach and back would also be heavilly recommended as a supplement to this type of exercise i.e. training on a exercise ball, bird-dog exercise and 'the bridge'.

All the best,
    Alex (D C. Mchiro).

3. cat on a soapbox profile image98
    cat on a soapboxposted 6 years ago

Hi Cardisa,
    I've had both hips replaced and am still limping a bit, but I walk, cycle on a recumbent bike, do pool aerobics, as well as stretching, moderate weight training, and tai chi.

4. BlissfulWriter profile image71
    BlissfulWriterposted 6 years ago

Swimming, because the buoyancy of the water makes it a low impact on the joints.  And it exercises almost all the muscle groups.

5. profile image57
    shorty72posted 6 years ago

I think the best thing is walking or just getting in the pool and walking in there. Also when washing up just do a few squats while holding onto the sink, when sitting in a chair just gently lifting your legs one at a time for 6 reps on each leg. Anything like that is good because you just need movement it doesn't have to be much.

working