jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Why should we not disturb wildflowers and other plants when hiking or camping?

1. RTalloni profile image88
    RTalloniposted 6 years ago

Why should we not disturb wildflowers and other plants when hiking or camping?

(The photo is from a trip into the mountains above Anacortes, Washington.)

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6391184_f260.jpg

2. tamarawilhite profile image90
    tamarawilhiteposted 6 years ago

Disturbing them can kill them. If too many plants die, the soil around the path erodes or turns the path into mud.

3. teaches12345 profile image94
    teaches12345posted 6 years ago

Nature has a way of establishing boundaries for its own protection.  Mankind needs to respect this and help to strengthen the environment by avoiding its disruption.

4. Wizzie Crone profile image61
    Wizzie Croneposted 6 years ago

When you are biking out in the country, I assume, the plants that grow there are part of a very particular ecosystem. An ecosystem is an established group of plants, insects, animals, etc,in a system of reciprocity that keeps each aline and thriving. If you pick one flower, it probably won't make much difference, but if every other biker also picks a flower, then the ecosystem will be off balance. It's important to understand this when we go about our business in the world. A question to ask ourselves: "How is what I'm doing effecting the world around me?"

5. Randall R Green profile image60
    Randall R Greenposted 6 years ago

I try not to disturb or pollute natural areas simply so my kids, grand kids, and great grand kids will have something to enjoy....

Maybe that is too simple of an answer, but is the way I feel.

working