jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Do you think sports referees are too strict or too lenient with rulings in sport

1. Diane Woodson profile image61
    Diane Woodsonposted 5 years ago

Do you think sports referees are too strict or too lenient with rulings in sports?

A little here a little there and....

2. reecedarwent profile image61
    reecedarwentposted 5 years ago

Not at all, rules are rules and that's what makes the sport being played. Players are always looking to try to get around the rules e.g. diving in football, and so referees must be strict or risk ruining not just the match, but the sport.

3. adjkp25 profile image92
    adjkp25posted 5 years ago

I think it varies on the referee/umpire that is calling the game.

My son is wrapping up his first year playing high school ball and most of the umpires we have had aren't any better than the ones that volunteered to do little league games.

However the one we just had the other night was a drill Sargent.  If the pitcher took too much time between pitches he barked at them,  If someone showed frustration he warned them to keep it in line.  He must have been a military guy the way he was riding the players.

4. Andrew Bourne profile image57
    Andrew Bourneposted 5 years ago

The referees rule the rules as they are instructed to do as part of their job. I don't think that they are either too lenient or too strict, they just perform their role as instructed.

working