Sports enthusiasts - what is your favorite sport of all time and why?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (39 posts)
  1. Faith Reaper profile image83
    Faith Reaperposted 8 years ago

Sports enthusiasts - what is your favorite sport of all time and why?

I remember growing up watching every sport known to man because my Dad loved sports so much, especially baseball.  However, since being married to a man quite opposite of my Dad, who is not such a sports enthusiast, except for college football, but only the rivalry between Alabama and Auburn game ... I do find myself missing watching baseball, boxing and other sports with my Dad. However, this question is not limited to team sports and can include hiking, etc.  So, just curious what is your favorite sport ever and why?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12537431_f260.jpg

2. Genna East profile image82
    Genna Eastposted 8 years ago

Hi Faith...

Figure skating and ice dancing.  I'm an unabashed addict.  I just love it.   I hope you are enjoying your weekend.

Faith Reaperposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Oh, Genna, I spent many hours entranced with the figure skaters and just in awe of their grace and strength.  My mother would join in then, as would my Dad too LOL, hence he loved ALL sports. I am enjoying relaxing a bit.  Hope you are too!

3. PhoenixV profile image63
    PhoenixVposted 8 years ago

I used to love to watch professional football. Back in the days of Staubach and Fran Tarkenton. Tarkenton could scramble for days it seemed and Staubach could throw a perfect spiral and hit someone on the run 70 yards down the field. After those guys all retired I lost interest. Players come and go now in pro ball and it seems to be all about the money. I watch some college ball when it is a big game, but it is not the same.

Hi PhoenixV, thank you for answering.  Yes, I can understand about it not being the same as days gone by with our favorites out of the game for sure.  We do watch the college football too.

4. connorj profile image68
    connorjposted 8 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12537512_f260.jpg

Well I have been playing ice hockey for over 1/2 of century and I hope to continue to play for 40 more years with God's blessing. I was exposed to hockey during my early formative years in a country where hockey rules (that would be Jamaica, oops I mean Canada).
    I immediately fell in love with hockey (well after I turned 4) and quickly developed the required skills by playing/surviving a form of ice hockey called shinny at both outdoor and indoor ice rinks. I then commenced playing in my city's "house" league until I was skilled enough to earn a place on our city team...
    I certainly enjoy watching NHL and Olympic hockey; however, more than anything I enjoy playing hockey myself. I play hockey for one reason, enjoyment/contentment; however, most interestingly there are many positive spin-offs associated with ice hockey.
    Ice hockey is a significant enhancer of your health and mind that few partake in. Recent research by Dr. John Medina concludes that aerobic-type exercise not only is excellent for your physical health but also your mental health. Aerobic type exercise increases the BDNF concentration in our brain which makes us more alert and actually reduces the risk of dementia substantially. Medina mentions that when one is involved in an activity where you must think quickly, are in a state of changing and quite rapid motion it is the optimum state for brain enhancement. Thus, ice hockey is highly aerobic and one is in a state of constant and rapidly changing motion. One must make quick decisions that evolve rapidly dependent on the game situation. Keep in mind, my better half laughs at me when I try to explain all of these advantages of playing ice hockey. She simply asks if my honey-do list is complete and based on that torturous mega-list era, she either agrees with me or makes me feel death-row guilty of abandoning her for a shiny sheet of ice cold ice...
    Those ignorant of old timers ice hockey may indeed think it is a risky and violent type of activity; however, it is not. Old timers ice hockey does not permit fighting or hitting and has become more popular with both genders (women can and do play ice hockey). There may indeed be collisions of accident; however, with proper equipment there is little risk. One of the greatest advantages of ice hockey is the relatively less impact on our bones due to the lower viscosity of playing on ice relative to a substantially higher viscosity basketball court or baseball field. As I have reached 27 for the second time it is much more stressful on my knees to play basketball, singles tennis or ski on moguls. Thus, John's favorite activity/sport is ice hockey...

Hi John, wow, ice hockey, how exciting indeed. Thank you for sharing here in your great answer!  My son played roller hockey here in the south, where it is unusual to play, but he loved it and he rounded up his own street hockey.

2. connorj profile image68
      connorjposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Your son is a pioneer for playing and organizing like that! You should be proud of him... Florida has Numerous ice rinks all-over and youth hockey is alive and well...

3. Faith Reaper profile image83

I am glad you came back to comment as I ran out of room. I love how you stated that the ice is less stressful on your knees at any age! Yes, we had an ice rink, but for some reason they did not play hockey on it?  Thank you for sharing your passion.

4. connorj profile image68

One additional spin off of hockey for me; when I am in my 90s the hockey stick will most seamlessly become my cane...

5. Faith Reaper profile image83

Aw, do not think like that ... I think it is fantastic to be able to keep on enjoying the sports you love at any age!  It keeps the mind and body young, and also great to be young at heart too : )

5. SAQIB6608 profile image70
    SAQIB6608posted 8 years ago

Cricket.
    Being Pakistani we are Cricket Crazy Country.
    And why not its thrilling. Players like Imran Khan, Shahid Afridi, Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis from Pakistan are loved world wide.
    I began watching and following Cricket since my chilldhood and the Game has evolved miles ahead since then.

Ah, yes, Cricket ... is that similar to our football here in the US?  Thank you for sharing of your wonderful and favorite sport of Cricket.

2. SAQIB6608 profile image70
      SAQIB6608posted 8 years agoin reply to this

No Faith Cricket is quite different from Football.
      You can have a better idea from www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEbOL09ACww

Oh, okay, thank you so much for sharing.  Blessings

4. lawrence01 profile image64
      lawrence01posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Cricket would be closer to baseball except you run between two sets of "wickets" instead of between the bases!

6. chef-de-jour profile image97
    chef-de-jourposted 8 years ago

I have my roots in sport and despite growing old (er) can still take my creaking frame out on to a tennis court and whack that Wimbledon sphere over a string net!
    So I am a lover of tennis yes, and its cousin table tennis, a fast and skilful game. I've also played squash in my time, and the more sedate sports of snooker, billiards and pool.
    At school I tried my hand at cricket (the English national game), rugby union and on the odd occasion, hockey. In winter snow ball fights were an excellent distractive sport.
    At home I took to skittles, juggling and tiddlywinks (you need to look that one up). Plus, out on a back field, archery.
    For a few years I watched boxing on t.v. and loved it but now find it a bit too brutal. Wrestling on t.v. has always been ridiculous.
    Gymnastics is ok but runners, cyclists and other athletes don't get my vote anymore I'm afraid. Drugs and excuses have put me off.
    Formula One car racing is now too boring.

But numero uno as far as I am concerned is football (soccer), a fast, hard and competitive sport, a true team sport which also gives individuals a chance to shine ; where attack and defence is constantly in balance and the result dependant on kicking a leather ball into a simple goal. I know it has a slightly negative reputation these days but to me it is the beautiful game best expressed through flair, speed, grace and strength. And anyone can participate!!

Wow, Andrews, you are an all-around sports participant for sure!  I will have to look up a couple of these here you have shared.  Our football and soccer are two totally different sports.  I love soccer... my son played when he was so small. Thanks!

7. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
    Phyllis Doyleposted 8 years ago

Mine is the same as Genna's - figure skating and ice dancing.  I could watch this every day. I really enjoy it because for me it is a way to relax and escape from all the shouting and yelling that goes on with  the sportsters watching the ball games.

Hi Phyllis, I could watch it every day too!  LOL, yes, that would be a great break.  It is so mesmerizing to me and to be able to pick someone up while spinning around on ice is a miracle in my book!

8. tsmog profile image85
    tsmogposted 8 years ago

That can be hard to decide for all time. I loved football since '66 (Age 6) until having to work Saturdays, Sunday & late on Mondays (age 30ish). Football lost out and I lost touch with it.

Track & Field is a fav still since competing in High School & College. Interest is pretty limited to the Olympics. Now and then a broadcast world event too.

Since '72 I have and am a very avid fan of National Hot Rod Association (NHRA) Drag Racing (fan - 42yrs). I specify that because it has a greater historical significance, better classes in my view, significantly strong competition, and a large width of classes and breadth with participants than other organizations.

That ranges from Jr. Dragsters age group 5-17yrs. 18 & older for the 11 sportsman classes, and four Pro-classes. There are too many sportsman categories in those classes to count because of different cars, type of transmission, and fuel being used.

So, overall it will be NHRA drag racing coming in 1st with following it pretty much daily. Special interest with Professional national events on ESPN. Football number two checking TV highlights & glances online. And, finally track & field really every 4yrs with some reading between.

Wow, Tim, great share here with all of your favorite sports over the years!  I will have to admit about loving fast cars and say that I even wanted to be a racecar driver when I was younger LOL.  Hope you find time to enjoy your favs more.

9. Venkatachari M profile image83
    Venkatachari Mposted 8 years ago

My most favourite sport is Cricket. I love it so much and used to listen to the commentaries very excitingly in my childhood as there were no TVs at that time in 60s and 70s. I was a big fan of great cricketers at that time of all the countries. Most loving personalities were Nawab of Pataudi, Kunderan, Sunil Gavaskar and now Sachin Tendulkar among Indians. There has been much void after my marriage and getting a job. I had no time at all to watch them in action. Now, I am retired so take time watching these matches on TV or internet. Recently, I developed liking towards FIFA world cup and Wimbledon tennis also and watch them in action.

Hi Dear Ven, thank you so much for sharing your passion here for Cricket.  I am so glad you are able to watch the matches now.  Yes, marriage and jobs do take up a lot of time.  Blessings

10. Sparklea profile image58
    Sparkleaposted 8 years ago

Hi Faith, I am not much of a sports person.  Can't stand baseball, especially on television because they constantly show close-ups of the players spitting which I detest.
    Football is dangerous, many concussions and damaging head injuries, as is boxing.  Boxing is a very dangerous sport and I don't understand why people are consumed with just punching one another and damaging the bodies God created for us. 
    Wrestling repulses me, I see no point in that either.
    However, I did go through a spell where I saw a documentary on Nascar driver Jeff Gordon back in 1998...He was So inspirational, and he is a Christian.  Each race he won, the first thing he said when he got out of the car was, "First I want to thank God..." What an inspiration he was!  I started watching Nascar races with Dave, and we even joined the Jeff Gordon Fan Club...our names were drawn 3 times where we were able to drive to a fire station in the Poconos, have a dinner and meet him in person!  I have pictures of me shaking his hand, and they are priceless. 
    Then Jeff's wife left him and they split up...She was a Christian, and she would tape a Bible verse on his steering wheel at the beginning of each race.
    From that moment on, when Jeff won a race, he totally stopped acknowledging God.  I don't know why that shattered me...I know he is still a Christian, but every time he won after that I felt very sad.  Then Dale Earnhart was killed in a race.  Dale and Jeff Gordon MADE those races so exciting.  Rules changed after that tragedy, and with all the adjustments to the cars, the races started to get dull.  I found myself pulling further and further away from Nascar.  My husband still watches the race, but he has lost a ton of interest...they just are not the same any more.  Jeff Gordon is retiring at the end of this season so he won't even be racing at all, just joining the announcers.  He has remarried a beautiful model and has two lovely children. 
    So to answer your question, Nascar has been and will probably remain my favorite sport of all time.  I learned a lot from Jeff Gordon, I have read about his life, and he is very happy.  I don't think his former wife wanted children, which may have been a factor...it doesn't matter, but I really thought the world of him and when he stopped talking about God, I have NO idea why that upset me, it was like he was a different person. 
    Blessings always, I will email you soon, a lot going on here .  You and your family continue to be on my prayer list.

Hi Dear Lea, LOL, well, I can understand your reasons for not liking said sports ...I haven't watched them in so long that I forgot about the spitting. I went through a spell of watching NASCAR too, and it is understandable to be upset him changing.

2. Sparklea profile image58
      Sparkleaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Faith I read your other posts here and you can add ice hockey to my list of NO's...VERY dangerous.  God gave us our bodies, and I can't understand why people damage them in these dangerous sports.  NASCAR has come a long way with preventing injuries.

3. connorj profile image68

I have played hockey for over 1/2 century. Touch wood, not my head and never broke bones, teeth... Now I play old timers and there is no hitting or any animosity between us oldies. There is actually less impact of joints due to less viscosity of ice.

4. Faith Reaper profile image83

@ Lea, okay, you are increasing the NO list, but the question is ...what is your favorite not the sports you do not like LOL ...Thank you for sharing though, sweet friend. @ John, yes, being on the ice is less impact on the knees unless hit by a puc

11. Jordan Kaschinske profile image60
    Jordan Kaschinskeposted 8 years ago

Ice Hockey, there's just no other sport that matches the physicality, grace, and intensity of hockey.

1. connorj profile image68

Good to "hear" this Jordan; thanks for the validation...

2. Faith Reaper profile image83

Hi Jordan, Thank you for sharing.  Looks like the ice hockey is the most popular here at the moment!  You describe it so well.  There you go, John, another ice hockey fan.

12. lawrence01 profile image64
    lawrence01posted 8 years ago

I grew up playing soccer. A great game that is 90% strategy and 10% luck. I still enjoy it butvwexhad a saying that soccer is a game for gentlemen played by thugs. If you watch professional games today much of the sport if it has gone as big business has taken over.
    Since moving to NZ I've taken to watching the national sport here, Rugby looks rough but it's a game that is largely strategy with some physical contact (no padding) but it's a game for thugs played by gentlemen!

Hi Dear Lawrence, thank you for sharing here. I have never heard of that phrase, "...a game for thugs played by gentlemen." How interesting.

2. lawrence01 profile image64
      lawrence01posted 8 years agoin reply to this

The two quotes go together. "Soccer is a game for gentlemen played by thugs, Rugby is a game for thugs played by gentlemen!"
      If you see the way the teams behave off the field you'd know what I mean by it. Have a good weekend

Yes, I understand for sure about the behavior off the field. That is often the case. Blessings

13. word55 profile image71
    word55posted 8 years ago

Baseball is the sport that I played most as a child. I enjoyed going to pro baseball games too. I had the sporting joy of my life when the Chicago white Sox won the World Series in 2005. I even hung out with them in their dugout in 2004. Maybe I gave them the winning spark for the 2005 World Championship Classic. The Bulls basketball featuring Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen was major as well with 3peat Championships in the late 90s. Thanks for this question Faith. Hopefully, you can still enjoy your favorite sports game at times.

Hi word55, I do love baseball but don't watch it much anymore without my dad around.  How exciting about being in the dugout! Maybe you did indeed.  Thank you for sharing here.  God bless you.

14. Hilda Akita profile image60
    Hilda Akitaposted 7 years ago

I love football. I have always watched it growing up and wished I could ever play. I love the energy and emotions those professionals put into it, and I think football is not just a sport; it's reality on screen.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)