jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

Why does the Olympic's men diving competition require skimpy speedos?

1. harmony155 profile image70
    harmony155posted 5 years ago

Why does the Olympic's men diving competition require skimpy speedos?

2. Rebecca2904 profile image78
    Rebecca2904posted 5 years ago

I guess it makes them more aerodynamic - if they're wearing great big shorts then they aren't going to go as far or as fast, the same as the cyclists wear tight shorts as well. I also think it will be important, especially in things such as diving where it needs to be judged, that the judges can see the athletes body and technique clearly so they can judge them correctly? I don't really know why, but I figure that would make sense.

3. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

It is the same reason they shave all of the hair off of their body, For a cleaner entry at the end of the dive. That is why the women's suits are so tight as well. This is information from friends who were divers in college.

4. fpherj48 profile image76
    fpherj48posted 5 years ago

Is this like a "Quiz" question because you know the answer...or a simple question because you want a variety of answers?
    With each and every athletic feat, the proper uniform/equipment/attire is essential.  The "skimpy Speedo" as you call it is for 1. comfort and "safety"    2.  Speed and agility.....something smooth and close fitting would not "impede" the human body flying through water......and I suppose.........3.  If you were a man with an absolutely flawless, athletic, perfect specimen of a body......wouldn't YOU flaunt it??
    They don't make skimpy bikinis for Fat girls.......though many a chubette has attempted to pull it off.........unsuccessfully!   Hope I helped you with the answer.

1. daskittlez69 profile image76
      daskittlez69posted 5 years agoin reply to this

lol, nice

5. daskittlez69 profile image76
    daskittlez69posted 5 years ago

It makes you faster, swimmers will also shave all of the hair off of their body.  Each fragment of a second counts when you are in the Olympics.

6. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

The judges check out all kind of things including body positioning their lines as they dive.  I think the speedos allow them to see their body positioning better than trunks.

working