jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

In honour of Burns Night- Who is Scotland's greatest ever sportsman?

1. CyclingFitness profile image91
    CyclingFitnessposted 4 years ago

In honour of Burns Night- Who is Scotland's greatest ever sportsman?

It's Burn's Night so who in your opinion is Scotlands greatest ever Sportsman?

2. chef-de-jour profile image97
    chef-de-jourposted 4 years ago

There are many to choose from but amongst the best must be Alan Wells the 100m sprinter who won Olympic gold (when all athletes were clean) in Moscow. The Americans weren't there but he probably would still have won.

Also Kenny Dalglish the Celtic and Liverpool footballer who won every major honour with Liverpool and then became a great manager.

These two are the tops but I'll invent Hamish McLagganallichie the caber tosser of Killiecrankie just for good measure.

My favourite Burn's poem? Ode To a Louse. An absolute classic.

3. Asp52 profile image81
    Asp52posted 4 years ago

As a biased Leeds United Fan, I would nominate Billy Bremner! in an unbiased selection maybe cycling's Chris Hoy deserves a shout!

4. capon profile image61
    caponposted 4 years ago

I'm torn between Eric Liddell (Chariots of Fire-Fame) and Sir Chris Hoy (Track Cyclist), but on balance I'd have to go with Eric. This is not to say that I will not change my mind. Who knows what accomplishments Sir Chris may achieve after he retires from the track! But for me the accolade goes to the whole person and not just their performance.
    Wikipedia have a good article on Eric's life and achievements.
    Tony.

working