jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Are you a prepper and what kind of prepping have should started or intend to sta

1. armysurplus365 profile image62
    armysurplus365posted 4 years ago

Are you a prepper and what kind of prepping have should started or intend to start soon?

Prepping is growing in popularity and not surprising considering the events over the past decade along with the economic down turn. Maybe you have just started prepping, but where do you begin?

2. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 4 years ago

It's hard to know where to begin but whatever one has, whatever one puts aside for a cataclysmic event, they should also be prepared to defend it.

Because those that "have" will be targets of those who"have not."  Recently, with the huge devastating explosion in Texas, all the windows in town were blown out and subsequently looters started grabbing what they could.  That is unthinkable to me.

If that opportunistic entitled mind-set happens in a situation like that - can you imagine a huge event where food, water and other resources are unavailable? It will be a dangerous time.

So start with being able to protect your family and the rest will flow from there.

3. Maggie Bennett profile image73
    Maggie Bennettposted 4 years ago

I want water, food, a red cross quality first aid kit, half a tank of gas at all times, firewood, some money, and a valid passport on hand.  That is what every person should have on hand at all times.  How many have that simple list covered? 

Now for prepping.  I went through Hurricane Sandy, and afterwards helped collect food for the waterfront victims by me.  This one man gave me a bundle of stuff and I was very excited until everything was either "currently edible" or well past expired.  His garage was filled to over throwing and everything was just stock piled.  He never heard of rotating his stock.

Self sufficiency, in having enough on hand is a very good idea.  If Romney had gotten into office I think Americans would be hearing a lot more about this topic.
    I will never get caught without the basics, but whether or not I can hold down the fort for months like some people claim to be able to?  I do not think I'll ever be there.

I also agree with Duffsmom in that people will want what you have.

1. armysurplus365 profile image62
      armysurplus365posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Great answers, I especially like the fact that maggie put straight away water. A great item to have is a water bottle with a filteration system, that way you can get fresh water from where ever. If I had just two items it would be this and a knife.

working