jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Who is the most inspirational Olympic athlete for you?

1. Grace-Wolf-30 profile image59
    Grace-Wolf-30posted 4 years ago

Who is the most inspirational Olympic athlete for you?

2. jabelufiroz profile image70
    jabelufirozposted 4 years ago

Scott Hamilton

Scott Hamilton was adopted when he was six weeks old and was diagnosed with cystic fibrosis at the age of two. The doctors gave him six months to live, but the disease began to correct itself. He began ice skating during his teenage years, but had to quit because his parents were unable to afford the costs. Later, he was able to get funded through a grant from Helen and Frank McLoraine to continue his training.
    Hamilton is known for his signature back flip move. He won a gold medal in the 1984 Olympics. In 1997 he announced that he had testicular cancer, and in 2004, he had a benign brain tumor. When the surgery to remove the tumor was performed in 2010, he announced that an artery was nicked which caused an aneurysm a few days later. Hamilton continues to skate and was featured in a special on the Bio Channel showcasing his return.

1. Grace-Wolf-30 profile image59
      Grace-Wolf-30posted 4 years agoin reply to this

What an inspirational athlete. Thank you for sharing a little bit about him. I honestly didn't know anything about him, but I am inspired to learn more : )

3. manatita44 profile image82
    manatita44posted 4 years ago

Still Mohammed Ali.

The great sportsmen give us something other than their physical skills, and have you noticed that they also tend to be motivational and  inspirational? Jesse Owens, Bob Beamon, Carl Lewis  ..

Like Mandela, they leave a legacy for the world which includes a 'special something' which may or may not be totally connected to their practical vocation. Please forgive me, but I feel that Bolt has not got this as yet.