jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

Do you feel any twinge of guilt or reluctance about setting off fireworks for 4t

1. i scribble profile image81
    i scribbleposted 4 years ago

Do you feel any twinge of guilt or reluctance about setting off fireworks for 4th of July, etc?

Do-it-yourself fireworks displays are very popular among American families in areas where it is legal as an Independence Day tradition. I don't know if it's just me, but in recent years I always think about how much money is being spent and how much extra pollution is going into the air for the instant gratification of pretty fleeting images in the sky and loud booms.

2. profile image0
    CalebSparksposted 4 years ago

The only reluctance I would feel would be due to the decline of independence in America. How can I be excited about what those fireworks represent as our nation falls deeper into the pit of government dependence and government absolutism? Do Americans think that we are totally free because we are allowed to shoot off a few bottle rockets and firecrackers each year?

I do understand that true freedom scares the average person. But are they prepared to live with and serve an increasingly dictatorial government?

1. i scribble profile image81
      i scribbleposted 4 years agoin reply to this

CalebS,
      My question was not intended to be political, but maybe that is what came to mind for you when you first read the question? Thanks for stopping by.

3. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 4 years ago

Not really. I only knew about the pollution effect from a Californian who visited Texas. We still indulge in the tradition, loving every second.

1. profile image0
      CalebSparksposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Lol...yeah...California...  smile

2. i scribble profile image81
      i scribbleposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for dropping by.  I have never heard anyone express this concern other than myself, so I guess mine must be an unusual point of view. Besides pollution, I think of how many hungry children could be fed, etc. with the money spent on fireworks.

3. lburmaster profile image83
      lburmasterposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Then think about how much we spend on everyday coffee. Worrying about how we spend our money is useless, unless we actually strive to change our spending. Which will not happen without a drastic change. I'm glad you have a passion.

working