jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

I'm a curvy girl skater. I hate pants so I wear shorts. Guys can be pigs though,

1. Jazmyn Nicole profile image85
    Jazmyn Nicoleposted 3 years ago

I'm a curvy girl skater. I hate pants so I wear shorts. Guys can be pigs though, should I worry?

I feel comfortable wearing them but uncomfortable when skating at the skateparks...

2. Patricia Loupee profile image60
    Patricia Loupeeposted 3 years ago

You really shouldn't worry about this - you have to wear what makes you comfortable and that's it.

But I do understand what you're feeling. If the boys are being annoying until the point you just can't simply ignore anymore, try skating at times where they're not there, or changing your location to a more secured area - no one will seriously harm you if there's police around, for example.

3. junkseller profile image85
    junksellerposted 3 years ago

To some extent you have to accept the reality of places. For example, if you go into a mosh pit, you are going to get jostled. That doesn't mean you have to completely accept it. You can for instance say, "hey dude, try and take it easy on me." It wouldn't. however, make much sense to go into a mosh pit and then complain about everyone being so rambunctious. It is the nature of the place.

So I have glanced at some of your photos on Facebook and I have some terrible news for you. You are a babe. And you are attempting to engage in a place/activity which tends to be dominated by boys. You are going to draw attention and it probably won't matter if you wear pants or shorts. Girls generally are clueless about what boys find attractive.

But again, that doesn't mean you have to completely accept it. You can and should establish boundaries. You shouldn't allow anyone to treat you disrespectfully. But at the same time, to some extent, you probably have to accept the reality of the place and the reality of being a babe. You are going to be noticed. Wouldn't really matter if you went out there wearing a garbage bag.

Also, you seem to be criticizing being objectified. Which you should. But saying things like "guys can be pigs" is also a stereotyping and demeaning. Most of us generally need to look a little deeper at people. You should expect it, but you should also give it.

1. Jazmyn Nicole profile image85
      Jazmyn Nicoleposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thanks lol! I didn't mean to objectify guys in general, just some. My bad, but you're right. I don't really care but society is what it is.

4. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 3 years ago

The only person you can control is yourself. It's a waste of time and energy to concern yourself with things you have no control over. If you are "uncomfortable" skating at skate parks then you won't do it. Your only other alternative is love yourself and refuse to let others dictate what you do. Maybe listening to your iPod while skating will take your focus off of other people.
    It's your life. Take the wheel! :-)

working