Exactly why do old people wear their pants so high?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (24 posts)
  1. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 8 years ago

Exactly why do old people wear their pants so high?

I've noticed a trend among older people. It seems the older they get the higher on their waist, or in some cases chest, their pants are worn. Does the location of our waist go up with age? Or are these people unaware they can get pants that will stay on their waste with proper fitting?

2. profile image57
    TJ Slaterposted 8 years ago

That's just wisdom acquired over time. Because when that flash flood hits, guess whose pants won't be wet?

peeplesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

smile

2. KC3Lady profile image60
      KC3Ladyposted 4 years agoin reply to this

LOL TJ

3. LoisRyan13903 profile image62
    LoisRyan13903posted 8 years ago

I am short 4' 10 and tend to wear my stretch pants high like up to my breastbone so the pants don't drag on the floor-too lazy to sew them.  plus my job-I work in a factory requires pant to go no higher than our ankles-so I can't wear capris.  I also prefer my pants to go a little higher past my belly button because I do have some belly fat that I like to hide.  I do wear my shirts out and not tucked in so it is not noticeable.  I do have some yoga pants that more sit on my hips but usually wear a longer shirt

Now this I totally understand. Other than me I come from a family of short women 5' and shorter. This makes perfect sense.

4. Michael-Milec profile image61
    Michael-Milecposted 8 years ago

At what age would be considered "old people"? Or better yet, why did Creator made the hip joints to a man?  There is a natural border where  the real man are ' hanging' their pants , and it is not "so high"  when the belt is tighten around hip joints, then you walking in dignity and safely, as a real gentlemen . It is a total  disgrace  to see a human beings ( men, young ?!) wearing pants ( (present generation) so low that you can see dirty under ware as if there between the legs is hanging a hidden diaper. ( No apology, please). As far as "old people" definition is absolutely irrelevant. After entering into fourth quarter of century in my life, " old people" does not apply to me, I am in full production of my trade as decades ago, walking  somewhere  between 5- 12 miles a day, below 14 min a mile, and my pants are right there as I was wearing them all my life including while in military..

Over 75 was in reference, often seen with high pants. The saggy pants are gross so is the crotch area of a man's pants when he has them pulled to his chest..  Glad you are that productive!

5. fpherj48 profile image61
    fpherj48posted 8 years ago

peeples.....I'm laughing so damned hard, I can't even think what to write!!
    You crack me up!....LMAO.....Sorry, gotta go.  I've been sitting so long, my pants have fallen below my ribs....gotta hoist them up!!    ROFLMAO!!
    It's an "old age security thing"  like Linus's blanket....LOL.....along with soft food and diapers.....the full circle thing, peeples.  Next thing you know, my sons will have to tuck me in bed and barricade me in so I don't fall out of bed............OH...LOL...my sides are splitting.  I'm lucky.  I have suspenders!

The "location" of our waist does not go up, honey.....it just disappears.  If it wasn't for our navel, we wouldn't even know where our waist is!!!
    OMG...I laughed so hard, I need to go to bed....Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
    You are too young and cute!

LOL!!! You are too Funny!!!!! Safety blanket....  yeah safety pants make sense!

6. Jackie Lynnley profile image84
    Jackie Lynnleyposted 8 years ago

I think in older people it may have much to do with comfort. Most are overweight (or many anyway) and the bands are sometimes uncomfortable. My mom use to pull her pants over her stomach but her shirts or sweaters came down over and no one knew. Remembering back the two times I was pregnant I wore my band up high and so it would be my guess for most people it is comfort.
    Now I do recall photos of guys like Erkle who hiked them ridiculously high and I have no answer for that unless they were trying to show off prized parts.....

The Erkle look, yes, this is what I am talking about. Quite often I see gentelman usually, with their pants up at their chest. I'm a mom, so over the belly for comfort I understand. smile

7. dahoglund profile image71
    dahoglundposted 8 years ago

As I have gotten older, I have also gotten smaller. I am about two inces shorter than I used to be and lost weight. My pants have a tendency to slide down and I have to tighten my belt. I thought about suspenders, but my shoulders are narrow and the suspenders have a tendency to slide off.

Understandable, but here in USA we can buy new pants for $5, the same cost as suspenders. Why not just buy new pants?

2. Michaela Osiecki profile image68
      Michaela Osieckiposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I'd love to know where in the USA you can buy new pants for $5. Heck, you can't even get them that cheap at thrift stores!

8. Millionaire Tips profile image89
    Millionaire Tipsposted 8 years ago

Styles have changed.  Back in the day, the waist band actually was at the waist. That is why it is called a waist band.   Now waist bands sit lower - at the top of the hip.  It looks unattractive to me, because it creates a muffin top, and shows a crack when you bend over. I'd rather be modest and not put on a show.  That is why I prefer a waist band that sits at the waist.

Of course, there are people who prefer to have their waist band sit at the knees.  To each their own.

Waist bands at the actual waist are coming back in.  However older people seem to ignore the waist all together. I guess it is better than waist at knees.

9. Jodah profile image92
    Jodahposted 8 years ago

Haha Peeples, you have to read my hub "Assnapped".. it has the answers. In fact older people could ask "Why do young people wear their pants so low?" Who wants to see your undies or butt crack anyway?
    After people hit 40 they naturally start to put on weight, or the fat is redistributed. Men especially lose muscle and fat from their buttock area which is often distributed above the hips and as well as this stomah fat often increases. This redistribution makes it difficult to keep the pants sitting in place on the hips and results in some pulling their pants up highher. A lot of men actually resort to wearing braces instead of belts to keep their pants up and this usually causes them to ride a little higher. If you look at old movies you will see that the waist bands on both men's and women's fashion (all ages) was much higher as well.

Thanks, so the small butt sex, loses even more of it as they age, and it moves to their waist. Awww. That sounds awful! I'll be sure to check out your hub!

10. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 8 years ago

my grandma used to wear pants high up to cover her belly button. She said that it is to cover the belly from getting cold, air enter the "hole" is not good for old folks.

11. Shyron E Shenko profile image69
    Shyron E Shenkoposted 8 years ago

It is simple, to keep their pants up. When we begin to become more around the middle then the pants must be worn above the belly to prevent the pants from falling down.

12. bravewarrior profile image87
    bravewarriorposted 8 years ago

People shrink as they age. Perhaps those men don't have the money or desire to buy new pants. Who knows. At least they're not showing their boxers with the pants' waist hanging below their butt cheeks!

13. KC3Lady profile image60
    KC3Ladyposted 4 years ago

Far be it from me to speak of all "old people" everywhere, but for one thing the style when some of us were young was a higher waistband on jeans than today. Then there might be the loss of your waistline as I think it is said on average people put on 10 lbs. every decade. Then, there are pants for older people with elastic waistbands that might rise. Then, of course, there are people who just remain dorky even as they age. LOL Honestly, I would much prefer someone wearing their pants too high than to have their behinds hanging out!

1. KC3Lady profile image60
      KC3Ladyposted 4 years agoin reply to this

to speak *for*

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)