jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Do you think that different colours truly do have different meanings?

1. Ellen Theo profile image82
    Ellen Theoposted 20 months ago

Do you think that different colours truly do have different meanings?

For example science has suggestd that blue is calming, and red is a lucky colour in sport.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13176430_f260.jpg

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image98
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 20 months ago

You either give something a meaning or you don't. What would the color blue mean to a blind person? Blue means absolutely nothing to the blind. So we can see that meaning is something one gives to things such as color.

1. Ellen Theo profile image82
      Ellen Theoposted 20 months agoin reply to this

True but a blind man I know says he can see colour in his minds eye.  But I think you have a point about colour meaning different things to different people.  I see now that is evident in different cultures, societies, gender, personalities......

3. Penny Sebring profile image90
    Penny Sebringposted 20 months ago

Different colors stimulate different parts of the mind, and often elicit different emotional responses, so in that sense, they have a particular meaning. Points to consider might be include:
    The purity of the color. Is it blue, or is it sky blue, navy blue, or aquamarine?
    Culture. How does the culture you are studying view the emotion that color ellicits?
    The original state of mind. Exposing a tired person to bright red might energize them, whereas exposing a tense or angry person to that same red might trigger an emotional outburst instead.

working