- Fashion and Beauty»
- Bridal Fashion
10 Tips and 10 Gifts for Flower Girls
flowergirl dresses, flower basket and rose petals
10 Tips to Better Prepare a flower girl for her duties
Growth milestones for children. I wanted to share a child's capabilities versus what we may expect of them on a big day. The duties of a flowergirl may seem simple to us, but can be complex for a child. Carry the basket, smile, keep your head up, walk slowly, drop the petals as you walk to the front of the aisle and then stand next to the bridesmaids. In actuality, you just told a very young child over 7 steps or things to remember to do and she has to do them in front of many people.
1. Discuss every step, practice multiple times. Answer her questions, video tape her during practise and show her how she looks. This is a great opportunity to gently discuss any ways to improve and let her express any concerns or uneasy feelings.
2. Show her a video of a flower girl in action and point out the details of what that girl is doing so she can visually see and understand what you want her to do.
3. When you watch the videos below; you may find the girls that do the best are the ones that don't have to drop flower petals. They are not looking down the whole time and that is a good thing.
4. Make sure you have a well rested child. Even if you expect to eat after the ceremony, allow the child to eat at least a snack. Avoid having a hungry child and of course, restroom stop before it all starts. Nervousness alone can cause a need for the restroom, so let them go very shortly before the ceremony begins.
5. If the flower girl you are considering is terrified of large crowds of strangers, find another girl for the job. It isn't worth pushing them into a meltdown.
6. Do you have a backup plan? Do you have an older girl ready to step in in case the younger one needs help getting down the aisle or becomes upset and can't do it.
7. Consider her personality and how to harness it so she shines during her big moment.
How to make your "type of flower girl" personality shine
Types of flowergirls:
1. Center of attention, outgoing, very friendly.
2. Helpful, willing to learn and follows instructions.
4. Rambunctious, manners may be lacking, more of a tom boy.
The best method for personality one is passing individual flowers to guests as she goes down the aisle. The flowers she hands out can be for the departure throws of flower petals or just little keepsake flowers for the special guests receiving them.
Personality two is ideal for the traditional tossing of flowers down the aisle in front of the bride.
The third one, shyness will require lots of practice to make her more comfortable with the traditional method. She will be much better carrying a stuffed animal, the kissing ball or a floral bouquet instead of dropping flower petals.
The fourth personality, can do any style, but she needs practise and encouragement towards being polite in her role. It may take some convincing or a reward for dressing up when she would rather wear jeans and a t-shirt.
You want to have bright smiling, shining flower girls and to obtain those truly special moments. Pair up the style with her personality and you will have the perfect flower girl!
What to do with crying flower girls? Find out what is bothering them first. Is their hair style hurting her head, is she scared, did the ring bearer pull the dress bow untied? Fix fast, soothe and console and fix any makeup. Give her hugs and kisses and encouragement. If needed, send in your backup to assist her.
Making decisions from start to finish
1. Style: hair, dress, headpiece or if you follow the hairstyle in the video, you are using her hair braids as the headpiece and adding some fresh roses with hairpins. Deside on a style that she can feel comfortable in. Do the style at least once prior to see how long it takes. Great for the rehearsal dinner. What type of headpiece will she wear? Tiara, flowers, braids, pretty hair pin. It should compliment the brides headpiece.
2. Accessories: Basket, purse, bag, kissing ball, stuffed animal or just holding hands with another flowergirl. Flowers- fresh or faux petals. What kind do you want her to wear? Jewelry again should compliment what the bride is wearing, just more subtle. You may choose earings when their hair is up or a neckless when their hair is down. Add one of the new pearl bracelett corsages - that would be a lovely touch.
3. Who to follow. Make sure she knows who to follow, walk with and who to stand by at the front of the aisle. Give her the option to stand with the girls or have mom near the front so if she needs to sit with mom on the bench, that is acceptable.
4. Once she starts down the aisle, (one last reminder, smile, keep head up and drop the petals, walk slowly so everyone can see such a pretty girl) get her started on dropping flowers, make sure a younger child is not picking the flowers back up. When they get so busy doing their "job" of dropping flowers, they get serious and forget to smile or look up. So a little reminder may help.
5. Up front, she will have guidance from others. as part of your previous discussion, she knows to stay quiet and smile and watch the bride and groom.
6. She will follow the bride back down the aisle afterwards and someone can guide her to the right place as she finishes her most important duties.
7. Vogue - Photography time with the wedding party. She may be getting a little tired, so keep the time short, get the pictures in first with the flowergirls so they can move on to the reception area and sit down a bit with a drink of water, punch or juice.
8. Reception Family and fun time and dancing.
9. Food, big napkins will help, one under her chin and one in her lap to protect the pretty dress. Hopefully you have a reception that has finger foods for kids so there is less mess to worry about.
10. Afterwards, Keepsakes. Saving the items from her special day. Shadowboxes are perfect to include the invitation, flower petals, picture, headpiece and anything else from the wedding day.
Scrapbook the special memories kept forever in her own flowergirl book that you add special things inside. It should have pockets.
10 Flower Girl Gifts
Gifts perfect for little girls, especially when you want more personal things or craft items.
- keepsake album
- stamp crafting kit or sun print kit
- activity books and crayons
- flower girl picture frame
- treasure box or jewelry box
- small purse
- Freeze dry her flowers in a globe or memory box
- Let her keep the flower girl basket
- Personalized gifts or a décor item for their room or a toy.
Flower Girl Keepsake BookClick thumbnail to view full-size
My favorite flowergirl book that is her keepsake too
Makeup for Girls
- Makeup for Girls 5 Best Videos to Learn About Makeup or a Makover
Makeup for girls. When, where and how much? There comes a time they want to do more than just look natural. It is a new experience, so they need to learn how to apply makeup. This is a resource guide to great places offering video techniques they can