Top 10 DIY Homemade Face Scrubs For Glowing Skin
Exfoliation: For A Healthier, Brighter Complexion
- We are all aware that cleansing, moisturising and toning forms an integral part of our daily beauty routine but many of us forget that exfoliation is equally important. Everyday our skin undergoes a lot of wear and tear. It gets exposed to dust, pollution, harmful ultra-violet rays which makes it dull and life-less. Apart from that, the formation of new cells on the surface of the skin is a regular process and its very vital that the old skin cells should be removed on a regular basis to reveal the soft, fresh look.
- Now the question is how frequently should we go for exfoliation. Well, that depends on your skin types and needs and hence varies for every individual. The persons who have sensitive skins should definitely not go for exfoliation for more than once a week whereas the oily skin individuals can use scrubs daily. If you are having problematic skin which is blemished and has a lot of scars can benefit a lot from regular scrubbing.
- However if you have lot of acne and pimples on your face you should avoid scrubbing since they may cause more severe infection. In that case it is best to wait till the pimples/acne gets healed up completely. Once they dry up completely and leave those ugly marks, scrubs can come to your rescue and eliminate those marks effectively.
Why Home-Made Scrubs ?
- The beauty market is flooded with a variety of scrubs with fancy ingredients and sometimes it is so confusing and difficult to choose the right product which is suitable for your needs. And the worst part about store-brought scrubs is that we do not know exactly how effective they will be and what will be the long-term effects of using such products. Cost is surely not a measurement scale to test the effectiveness because most of the times even the costliest ones fail to give any result which they claimed.
- Home-made ones on the other hand are cheaper, more effective and most importantly without any side-effects. They can be prepared with a wide variety of natural ingredients which may be easily available on your kitchen counter. When we can get the benefits with natural cheaper alternatives, why should we go for the ones which are heavy on our pockets and loaded with harmful chemicals.
Oatmeal And Banana Scrub
This scrub is very suitable for aged skin and for those whose complexion is dry and parched. Very effective during winters. Can be used daily.
- 1 teaspoon oatmeal powder.
- 1/2 teaspoon honey.
- 1 teaspoon mashed banana pulp.
Take all the ingredients in a bowl and blend nicely. Apply on clean skin and leave for 10 minutes. Wash off with cold water.
Sugar And Olive Oil Scrub
This scrub moistens the skin while effectively removing the dead cells. Sugar and olive oil will soften the skin and make it smooth and radiant. People with sensitive skin should avoid using this. Can be used on alternate days.
- 1 teaspoon coarsely powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix to a fine paste. Apply on the face and scrub gently in rotating motion. This scrub should be applied with light pressure. Don't use force while massaging on the face. Wash off immediately after scrubbing for 2-3 minutes.
Almond And Milk Scrub
This scrub is the best for whitening the skin since almonds and milk both are known as excellent natural whiteners. This scrub can improve complexion if used daily. Suitable for normal and dry complexion. Can be used daily.
- 1 tablespoon almond meal
- 1 tablespoon milk preferably raw
- few drops sweetened almond oil (optional)
Add all the ingredients in a bowl and mix them nicely. Apply on the face and scrub gently in circular motion and let it remain on the face for 2 minutes. Wash off with cold water.
Orange Peel Powder And Yogurt Scrub
This scrub is great for people having oily to combination skin. It acts as an effective scrub and toner at the same time. Great for reducing open pores and blackheads. Dry skin individuals can also use this scrub because of the presence of honey which helps in hydrating the skin. Can be applied on alternate days.
- 1 tablespoon orange peel powder
- 1 tablespoon honey
- few drops of orange juice (optional)
Mix all the ingredients nicely and scrub your face with light circular strokes. Let it dry for a few minutes and wash off with cold water.
Banana And Avocado Scrub
Bananas and Avocados are loaded with skin-beneficial nutrients. Both have hydrating property and are great for aged and dry skins. Sugar acts as a gentle exfoliating agent which removes dead cell while making the skin smooth and glowing. Not suitable for oily skin. Can be used daily.
- 1 teaspoon banana pulp
- 1 teaspoon avocado pulp
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- few drops honey
Mix the ingredients in a bowl and scrub the face slowly in circular motion. Wash off with cold water.
Walnut And Apricot Scrub
This is one of the most common recipe of scrub available in the market but can be easily prepared at home. The walnuts can be replaced with almonds. This is very suitable for sensitive skin and can be used daily. To make the walnut kernel powder simply blend walnut kernel pieces in a blender or coffee processor.
- 1/2 teaspoon walnut kernel powder
- few drops apricot oil
- few drops water to make a paste
Blend all the ingredients nicely and use it as a scrub. Wash off with cold water.
Gram-flour And Orange Peel Powder Scrub
Gram-flour is excellent for oily skin and acts as a wonderful skin lightener. Orange peel powder has anti-tanning and oil control properties. Both these ingredients combine together act as a wonderful scrub for oily skin. It can be used daily or alternately and keeps the complexion free from pimples, blemishes and other skin troubles
- 1 teaspoon gram-flour
- 1 teaspoon orange peel powder
- 1/2 teaspoon milk powder
- a pinch of turmeric powder
- rose water to make a paste
Mix all the ingredients in a bowl and mix them thoroughly. Apply on the skin evenly and let it dry for 5 minutes. Dab with milk and scrub gently in circular motion. Wash off with cold water.
Strawberry And Sugar Scrub
Strawberries are rich in Vitamin-C and other nutrients. Application of this scrub helps in clarifying the skin and makes it bright and radiant. Suitable for all skin types but should be avoided by individuals whose skin is allergic to strawberries.
- 1 tablespoon Strawberry pulp
- 1 teaspoon powdered sugar
- few drops honey (optional)
Mix the ingredients together in a bowl and scrub the face. Let it remain for a few minutes and wash off with cold water.
Green Peas And Yogurt Scrub
Powdered green peas has excellent exfoliating properties and yogurt provides hydration. This scrub is suitable for all skin types and can be used two times a week.
- 1 tablespoon dried peas powder
- 1 teaspoon yogurt
- few drops of rose water to make a paste
- few drops of lemon juice (optional)
Blend all the ingredients together and apply on the skin. Scrub gently in a circular motion and wash off with cold water.
Fullers Earth And Rice Powder Scrub
This scrub is excellent for skin with lot of blemishes and marks. Suitable for all skin types except for those with sensitive skin types. All the ingredients in this scrub have skin whitening properties, so people who want to improve their skin tone should include this in their beauty routine. Can be applied on alternate days.
- 1 tablespoon fullers earth powder
- 1 tablespoon rice powder
- 1 tablespoon almond meal powder
- 1 tablespoon orange peel powder
- few drops lemon juice
Mix all the ingredients except lemon juice and milk and blend nicely. Store the mixture in an air-tight container. Take 1 teaspoon of the powder in a bowl, add few drops of lemon juice and milk to make a medium consistency paste. Apply on the face and scrub gently. Let it dry for a few minutes before washing off with cold water.
© 2013 Adity