Clinique Age Defense BB Cream SPF 30 Review
What is a BB cream?
During my quest to find the perfect makeup for extremely oily skin, I came across many products claiming to be "the best BB cream on the market." At first I knew nothing about BB creams. I didn't understand the excitement. Now, after doing a little research, I understand why so many believe BB creams are the answer to their many skin problems. Supposedly, BB creams do the work of five different products all wrapped up in one. Unfortunately, how do you know if it really works? With all the BB creams popping up on the market, how can you be sure? You take the risk and purchase one and cross your fingers it works.
History Behind BB creams
- BB creams became very popular during the 1980s in Japan and Korea.
- Initially BB creams were used to protect skin after laser procedures and surgery, while also providing light coverage. It was considered the "secret of Korean actresses."
- BB creams act as a moisturizer, primer, foundation and sunblock. Some also have anti-inflammatory benefits.
- In 2011, Western companies began developing BB creams such as Garnier, Clinique, Dior and Maybelline.
Although I wasn't ready to try every brand on the market, I was ready to try one; Clinique's Age Defense BB Cream Broad Spectrum SPF 30. Clinique products have worked well for me over the years so I trusted the brand with my oily/acne prone skin.
Clinique's BB cream only comes in three shades. Yes, that is correct, three shades. This product will not work for deeper skin tones. Here are the following shades:
- Shade 1- Very Fair
- Shade 2-Very Fair to Moderately Fair
- Shade 3-Moderately Fair to Medium
Complexions with very fair to pink undertones, use Shade 1. Very fair, moderately fair and golden undertones, use Shade 2. Moderately fair to medium complexions with golden undertones, use Shade 03. Usually I purchase makeup for medium/beige skin tones. Clinique's limited choices forced me to purchase Shade 3, but even that shade was too light for my slightly tanned skin. If you are considering purchasing this product I highly recommend trying the product first, especially during the summer months when you know you'll be out in the sun. I purchased Shade 3 with the intent on adding a little more blush on my cheekbones and around the edge of my face to give my features a healthy look (not a zombie look).
Clinique's BB cream does work. Even with the limited shade selection, which frustrated me at first, I can still honestly promote this product for the following reasons:
- Distributes well. Smooth texture. Does not dry cakey.
- Fragrance free. Allergy tested. Dermatologist tested.
- Oil-control formula.
- Skin looks brighter. Optics minimize wrinkles and fine lines.
- Prevents premature aging with SPF 30 protection.
- Can be used as a primer.
- Conceals minor skin imperfections.
- Evens skin tone.
- Will not cause acne.
However, this is not a miracle product. I received many compliments about my skin while using this cream, but I've had better results with other products for half the price, like Revlon's Colorstay Foundation. Before you consider purchasing this product, please consider:
- It is not a moisturizer. You will need to apply lotion to dry areas.
- Does not provide maximum coverage for major skin imperfections.
- This product is long-wearing, but not for extremely oily skin. If you have oily skin like me it will probably last 5 hours, depending on the weather and your daily activities. Five hours is a long time, but you really need makeup that lasts at least 12 hours to get you through most the day.
- Limited shade selection (I know, I just can't get past that).
- The price of this product will set you back about $37 for 1.4 oz. Seems a little steep to me.
I ended up using Clinique's BB cream for a few months, but I always added a touch of blush to minimize how pale my skin looked. I shelved the cream after my first trip to the beach. I didn't want to walk around with two different skin tones. However, I could see myself going back to this product during the winter when my oily skin is tamed by the cool breeze and my skin tone matches the shades available. I just might do that.
Conclusion: This makeup suits fair/light skin tones with a dry/normal complexion.
Great Foundation For Oily Skin- Revlon Colorstay
Got oily skin? Got acne? Then you must try Revlon's Colorstay Foundation. This amazing makeup will stay on your skin all day and create a natural matte finish you'll be proud of.
Best Pimple Eraser
- Best Pimple Eraser: Patricia Wexler Acne Spot Treatment
Wexler Acne Spot Treatment is a miracle to all acne sufferers. It works quickly without making your skin feel dry or uncomfortable. Try it once and you will be hooked on this product.
Best Makeup For Oily Skin
Everyone has oily moments. The key is finding good makeup that minimizes the shine and stays on your face throughout the day. This review focuses on the entire face, from moisturizers to eyebrows, giving you the latest information.