Six Beauty Tips Using Lemon Juice
Lemon Juice is a Natural Beauty Product
I enjoy the tart taste of lemon in sweet lemonade, and when the lemon tree in my back yard began to show promises of future lemons, I thought it was time to figure out what I would do with all those lemons. I started doing a little research and discovered some pleasantly interesting facts about the lemon juice used in my lemonade. Many of the uses help maintain a healthy body and skin.
I discovered that lemon juice is an acid based fruit, however, once lemon juice is digested, lemon juice becomes alkaline based. Alkaline helps keep your blood at a safe pH level, which helps the body heal itself.
Lemon juice has a high level of Vitamin C, which helps to strengthen the immune system. Vitamin C acts as an antioxidant, protecting cells from free-radical damage. Free radicals damage your skin and antioxidants help prevent against free radical damage.
Lemon juice also helps your body cleanse itself and prevents water retention. It purifies your blood and rejuvenates your skin from within, thus bringing that natural glow we all seek to see in our complexion.
Here are five ways to use lemon juice as part of your regular beauty routine.
Minus the sugar, this is a technique I have used for decades.
1. Lighten your elbows and knees. Cut a lemon in half and sprinkle sugar onto the top. Scrub to exfoliate by applying in a circular motion to the elbows and knees. Let this sit on your skin for about a minute. Then, rinse it off in the shower. It takes about a month to see significant results. I have not tried it with the sugar yet. But, I like the idea of exfoliating along with lightening. Try it! You can do this on a daily basis.
2. Lighten your age spots. Mix 1 teaspoon of lemon juice with 2 Tablespoons of honey and 2 Tablespoons of plain yogurt. Rub this mixture onto your age spots. You can do this on a daily basis.
Putting on the Gloves!
It is really difficult to put on gloves after applying the paste. You have to be slow and meticulous, touching only the top of the glove. It’s all worth the effort. Oh, and it helps if you buy extra large gloves.
3. Moisturize your dry hands. Mix 1 Tablespoon of lemon juice with 1 Tablespoon of honey and 1 Cup of dry oatmeal. Form a paste with these ingredients. Apply this paste to clean hands. Put on cotton gloves. Keep the gloves on for at least 20 minutes. Rinse well. Dry your hands, then apply hand cream.
One word of caution, please use sunscreen and/or cover your body to avoid sun damage to your exposed skin.
4. Lighten your hair. To lighten your hair a few shades, mix 1 Cup of lemon juice with ¼ Cup of warm water. Place this mixture into a spray bottle and spray onto clean, dry hair. Spray the lemon and water solution until your hair is damp. Now, go outside and sit in the sun for about 30 minutes. Rinse and apply a rich conditioner. Follow conditioner instructions. Do this once a week. Each time, your hair will lighten a little bit more, but ultimately, it will only lighten a few shades from the original shade. Since this is a “natural” hair lightener, there is no guarantee of what shade your hair will turn once the lemon and water solution is applied. While in the sun, keep checking the color to avoid obtaining a color you will not be satisfied with. I do not recommend this type of hair lightening technique for brunettes. Your hair may have a tendency to turn a burnt orange shade. More power to you if that is the shade you want.
Lemons Add Beauty to Your Health
5. Cleanse your body. To help bones stay healthy, skin radiant, digestion clear, fight diabetes and cancer, and to lose weight, drink lemon water every morning. Squeeze a half of a lemon into eight ounces of water. To protect your tooth enamel, drink the lemon water cleanse through a straw. Drink this every morning.
Remove Soap Scum With A Body Rinse
If you see soap scum in your bath tub and shower, then it is reasonable to presume that soap scum could possibly remain on your body after bathing. I discovered an excellent body rinse through fellow writer, Miebakagh Fiberesima, who is an advocate for good health and body care. This body rinse is designed to rinse off residue left from soap scum.
6. Remove soap scum after bathing. Pour the juice of a whole lemon into a gallon bucket of water. Then after bathing, pour the lemon juice and water solution all over your body for a refreshing and thorough body cleansing experience.
Well, there you have it – five beauty tips using lemon juice.
Also Read: Lemons Are Powerful
- Lemons Are Powerful
Daily consumption of lemon water can make a difference in your appearance. It has a natural antiseptic medicine that can cure problems related to skin. It is the Vitamin C that enhances your beauty.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and does not substitute for diagnosis, prognosis, treatment, prescription, and/or dietary advice from a licensed health professional. Drugs, supplements, and natural remedies may have dangerous side effects. If pregnant or nursing, consult with a qualified provider on an individual basis. Seek immediate help if you are experiencing a medical emergency.
© 2012 Marlene Bertrand