- Fashion and Beauty»
- Makeup & Cosmetics
How Mineral Makeup Can Benefit Your Skin
Pure mineral make-up is made from ground up rocks and because it's free from chemicals and additives, it's much kinder to your skin than most traditional makeup. Traditional makeups can often contain irritants such as chemicals, preservatives and fragrances, so it's no wonder that in recent years mineral makeup has taken off and is flying off the shelves. It is being scooped up by big makeup brands. Makeup artists are starting to prefer mineral makeup because it has great staying power on your face than other makeup. You can get some mineral pigments that are matte, some have a shimmer and some can sparkle. Titanium dioxide has an extremely high light refraction index (even higher than that of diamonds) This light refractive effect helps to diffuse the appearance of skin imperfections and gives the skin a luminoius look. Combinations of these minerals, such as mica, titanium dioxide, zinc and iron oxides and ultramarine pigments can be created to make any cosmetic from foundation to eyeshadow, to shimmer for the body. Makeup helps to cover skin imperfections, but it can clog pores and make many skin conditions worse. This is where mineral makeup helps in skin care, so it is not just a useful cosmetic, but also beneficial in your skin care routine.
Here are top ten reasons to use pure mineral makeup:
1) It is 100% non-conedoggenic, non-acnegenic, chemically free, and hypoallergenic.
2) It provides a calming and soothing effect to the skin.
3) It offers anti-inflammatory properties.
4) It provides natural broad spectrum sun protection
5) It protects the skin against free radicals.
6) The minerals act as tiny mirrors on the skin which reflect the light, making them particularly flattering for older skin types.
7) The makeup holds no place for germination of bacteria or microbes.
8) It is widely preferred and recommended by plastic surgeons and dermatologists as it protects and replenishes damaged skin.
9) It is so pure that it can be used even after laser surgery, Microdermabrasion, Chemical peels, Waxing and Electrolysis
10) It is long lasting on the shelf as well as the skin, because it is made from ingredients that contain inert minerals. The ingredients cannot support microbial growth, they contain no moisture and bacteria cannot form and thrive, they do not use preservatives, filters or synthetic dyes.
What to look for when choosing mineral makeup
Bare Minerals is a great makeup brand to try and get you started. By switching your makeup to pure mineral makeup you can vastly reduce the number of toxins you put on your skin and improve the condition of your skin, its texture and appearance. Check the small print on the product before buying it though, as some brands claim to be 'natural mineral makeup' but for a product to claim it is 'natural' it only needs to have a small percentage of natural ingredients in it. So look out for any nasties such as Sodium Lauryl Sulphate, Parabens and Petrochemicals. Other ingredients to be wary of are: artificial colours and fragrances, which can provoke allergic reactions, Formaldehyde which can trigger asthma and irritate the eyes, nose and throat and contaminated Lanolin, which can contain inorganic substances and cause skin rashes.