- Fashion and Beauty»
- Hairstyles, Cool Cuts, How to Style Your Hair
How To Maintain Soft And Lustrous Hair
How to maintain soft and lustrous hair
I like to share this article which I read some time ago. It’s about how to avoid having dry hair, or how to maintain soft and lustrous hair. I wasn’t at all attracted to this subject. For you see, I am above 60 and I have lost at least 80% of my hair!! So this article is mainly just for those ladies who want to maintain a soft and lustrous hair, the natural way.
If you watch television, you would be bombarded with advertisements introducing the latest improved shampoos and conditioners, which will make your hair looks like the models in the commercials, soft, lustrous and sexy. I have been watching these commercials for the past 50 years, and they are still coming up with more improved products! By this time I have lost 80% of my hair!
But don’t despair. There are many natural ways where you can adopt to prolong the health of your hair. Hair is a non-living material like the finger nails. Each strand of hair has an outer layer of cells that protects the inner hair shaft. If this coating is damaged, the hair will suffer from loss of moisture and will become dry, frayed and brittle. Some people simply don’t have enough oil-producing glands in their scalps.
Simple steps for keeping your hair healthy
Here are some pointers that will ensure your hair stay soft and lustrous.
- Avoid excessive use of hair dyes.
- Avoid long exposure to direct sunlight.
- When using hair dryer, avoid high heat.
- Heat from hair straightener and curling tongs can do damage to your hair. Don’t use them too often.
- If need be, wash your hair once every 2 days. This will allow time for the natural oil to nourish your hair. If possible, use baby shampoo which is milder and kinder on your hair. When washing hair, use warm water. Hot water will strip the natural protective oil from your hair. Make sure you thoroughly rinse your hair clean, as leftover shampoo will leave a residue which will dry out the strands.
- Hairbrush should be of natural bristles, as synthetic materials will generate static electricity which will cause your hair to become more brittle.
- When swimming, make sure you cover your hair with a swimming cap. Both chlorine and sea water are bad for your hair.
- When in heated room, use humidifier to prevent dry hair.
- On windy days, wear a hat or scarf.
- Trim your hair every 6 weeks to eliminate dry and split ends.
- B vitamins make hair stronger. Take 50mg B-complex supplement twice a day
- Take 1000mg of evening primrose oil, 3 times a day to maintain lustrous hair. EPO is high in gamma-linolenic acid, an essential fatty acid.
Beauty regime for soft and lustrous hair
If you have the time and resilience, you can try the following natural beauty therapies for soft, lustrous, healthy hair.
Honey and egg hair mask.
Whisk 2 egg yolks with 3 tablespoons honey. Apply to your hair, let rest for 30 minutes under cover with a plastic shower cap. Then wash off with the usual shampoo. Egg yolk acts as an excellent moisturizing agent, while honey gives a rich gloss to your hair.
Herbal vinegar rinse.
Prepare 200ml apple cider vinegar in a jar, add 3 tablespoons dried rosemary. Cover and allow to steep for 1 to 2 weeks, then strain the mixture. Use this as a final shampoo rinse, after the usual shampooing. Apple cider vinegar rebalances scalp pH and rosemary as an antiseptic, astringent and healing agent.
Peel a ripe avocado, mix it with a teaspoon of wheat germ oil and a teaspoon of jojoba oil. Apply it to freshly washed hair and work it all the way to the ends. Cover your hair with a plastic shower cap for 15 to 30 minutes. Then rinse your hair thoroughly clean. Avocado moisturizes and strengthens hair shafts with protein.
Instead of avocado, use mayonnaise as a good alternative. The egg in mayonnaise is a good source of protein for your hair. Apply to your hair, cover with a plastic shower cap for up to 1 hour. Then wash your hair thoroughly.
Bananas are full of nutrients and are good for treating dry, damaged and fragile hair. Just mash an over-ripe banana and work it through your hair. Cover your hair with a plastic shower cap for 30 minutes, then wash your hair thoroughly.
Deep-conditioning, hot-oil treatment.
Damp hair with warm water, then gently massage 2- 3 tablespoons of almond oil through your hair. Cover with a plastic shower cap and then wrap with warm towel for 15 minutes. Then wash hair thoroughly to remove the oil. Do this once a week.
Home-made hair conditioner.
Mix 60g olive oil and 60g aloe vera gel with 6 drops of rosemary and sandalwood essential oils. Apply into hair and leave for 1 hour, then rinse thoroughly. Olive oil is a natural emollient, aloe vera hydrates, while rosemary adds body and softness to your hair. Sandalwood gives your hair the smell of fresh fragrance.
Hope you stay healthy and beautiful with soft and lustrous hair.
Link to my other interesting and beneficial articles
If you find this article interesting or beneficial, you may go to my "Profile" page to read my other articles by simply CLICKHERE:
By the way, the copyright to this article is owned by Good Guy. Please do not “copy and paste”! Thank you.