Neck Makeup and Care
Neck Makeup and Care
There’s an Australian saying “you can tell a horse’s age by his teeth and a woman’s age by her neck.” Unfortunately, this is a truthful statement. Women are so careful to care for their face, but often forget the importance of caring for the skin on their necks. So how can women be more mindful of their necks so as not to reveal our age as easily as a horse? By caring for your necks as you care for your faces. When you cleanse, moisturize, and apply makeup to your necks, you can keep your overall look youthful and work to prevent unwanted aging.
How to Cleanse & Moisturize Our Necks
When lathering your face with facial cleanser, be sure to gently work the foam into the jaw line and the neck area as well. Rinse with warm water and pat dry. Do the same with moisturizer, working it into the jaw line and neck area. Preferably use a facial moisturizer that contains an SPF. Once a week it’s a great idea to use a clay mask. Not only can you apply it to your face, but slather it over your neck as well. If your skin feels parched, once a week it’s a good idea to also use a heavier facial moisturizer on your face and neck. These are important steps to keeping the skin on your face and neck hydrated and cleansed.
Matching Neck and Chest to Face
Applying Makeup to the Neck Area
Incorporating your neck into your daily makeup routine can be quick and easy. Just think of your neck as an extension of your face and the process should come naturally. Here are a few tips to keep in mind during neck makeup application:
- Always pre-moisturize face and neck before makeup application. For optimal results, first use a primer. A primer is a great way to ensure that makeup is applied evenly and helps it to last longer. It’s generally a similar consistency as lotion but is silkier and more luxurious feeling. It helps prepare the face for makeup application. Also, because the skin can feel different on the neck than on the face, it helps even out the surface of the skin so that makeup blends effortlessly.
- After applying foundation to the face, apply to the jaw line and work gently in to the neck area with small downward strokes. Be sure to use a foundation color that matches your face (this may be different from your neck). Using a tone that matches your face will help to subtly blend the skin on your neck with your face, creating a natural and seamless look.
- If using powder foundation be sure to remove excess product from the brush. Excess product can be removed by tapping the brush handle (closest to the brush) on the edge of a table or on your wrist. Apply all over face first and then work from the jaw line with small circular strokes in a downward motion. After applying the foundation, go over the neck area with the powder brush to ensure that the application is well blended.
- With a liquid foundation use either a foundation brush or sponge applicator. Be sure to dampen a sponge applicator first. Use less product and layer as needed. After applying foundation to the face, gently sweep over jaw line and then work down gently into the neck area all the way to the collarbone using circular motions. Finish with a translucent powder using a powder brush.
- When you are done applying the foundation apply a bronzer to the temples, apples of cheeks and jaw line. Gently sweep over the neck area to add a touch of natural color. If in doubt go over the area again with an empty powder brush to ensure the blending is complete.
Applying and blending the foundation on the neck is an important process that is often underestimated. The skin tone and undertones on our body and face are different, and by completing this process, you can make sure that your facial makeup looks natural and blended. Also, when your makeup blends seamlessly, it elongates the look of our necks and enhances your overall look. Now that your look is complete, be sure to finish your flawless neck off with a touch of sparkle. Add a sparkly necklace or teardrop earrings and you’re ready for a night out: confident that your neck won’t give away any secrets.