- Fashion and Beauty»
- Shaving & Hair Removal
Ouch!! 10 Reasons You Can Shave Instead of Waxing!
Waxing is something that has become incredibly popular over the years. I’d venture a guess that there might even be more women in America who wax than there are women who shave. And it’s not just women either; men are waxing as well. Despite its growing popularity, I think it’s a bizarre practice that people simply shouldn’t put themselves through. Don’t get me wrong; I’m not a fan of full-on body hair. I just think that waxing belongs in the same category as foot binding and girdle-wearing – something that people will eventually realize it was not a good idea to be doing. As for me, I prefer to shave. Although it has its drawbacks, I think it’s preferable to waxing.
Here are ten reasons that it’s better to shave than to wax:
1. It hurts less to shave. Anybody who says that waxing doesn’t hurt that much just hasn’t gotten it done. Yes, there are things that you can do to minimize the pain (like going more frequently and taking a painkiller before you go) but it’s a process that hurts. Shaving can be painful (cuts, razor burn, etc.) but it doesn’t hurt nearly as much as waxing does. That’s a good enough reason for me to shave instead of waxing!
2. There doesn’t have to be stubble with shaving. I am one of those people who really doesn’t like body hair. I shave just about every day. I like smooth skin. That’s not something that I get to enjoy as much with waxing. Sure the day off and after is nice and hair-free – and arguably smoother than what I can get done myself with a razor – but you have to wait for weeks of uncomfortable hair-growth before it’s time for the next waxing appointment. No thanks!
3. You can comfortably shave in the privacy of your own home. I’m not a prude. I’ll strip down to nothing for a massage therapist I’ve never met before and I’m not shy in the locker room at the gym. However I think that shaving is a private thing. I’d prefer to do it myself in the comfort of my own home. Although some people do at-home waxing it’s not recommended so you have to go to a salon or spa which and have someone else do it. Yuck.
4. It costs less to shave. Admittedly this depends on a lot of factors. If you don’t wax often and you have an affordable spa that you go to for waxing then you may be able to spend less than if you wax daily using expensive razors that need regular replacing. However I’ve found that using good disposable razors on a daily basis is cheaper than waxing regularly for me.
5. It takes less time to shave.Waxing can actually take a really long time. This depends on how much you are getting waxed, how speedy your waxing professional is and how much you have trimmed before you go. Nevertheless it almost always takes longer to wax than to shave especially if you count the time it takes to make and get to the appointment for waxing.
6. You can shave over parts that you’ve missed.Even the best waxing professionals sometimes miss a spot. You can’t re-wax an area that has just been waxed because it can do some serious damage to your skin if you do. That means that any missed spots just need to stay hairy until it’s safe to wax again. You don’t have that problem with shaving. If you miss a spot, just go back and shave it again!
7. You can shave pretty much any time.I don’t know if this is true or not but I’ve always heard that you aren’t supposed to wax during certain times of the month (like right before and after starting your period). Not an issue with shaving.
8. Shaving isn’t affected by medications. Did you know that some people who wax end up having terrible reactions to the waxing because of the medications that they are taking? That’s not something that you have to ever worry about with shaving. Yes things can go wrong with a razor but this isn’t one of those things.
9. Fewer problems with ingrown hairs. Okay so this isn’t a problem that everyone has. I’ve talked to friends who get waxed and they say that they never have ingrown hairs. However I’ve always found that waxing causes this problem for me. Shaving never causes it. I don’t know if that’s true for anyone else out there but it’s yet another reason that I like shaving.
10. It’s easier to be green with shaving. If you’re concerned about the health of our planet then you’ll find that it’s easier to be green when shaving than when waxing. Things you want to take into consideration are waste and chemical use. Using a long-lasting razor with eco-friendly shaving soap is a fairly easy way to be green when shaving. It’s a lot tougher to find a waxing specialist who uses green practices.
I won’t deny that there are some people who prefer waxing to shaving. These people include people who have a lot of trouble with razor burn, would rather have someone else do the work than doing it themselves, like the experience of going to a spa, and those who want their hair to remain fine rather than coarse. If that’s what suits you then definitely do what’s right for you. As for me, I think that shaving is the clear winner compared to waxing!