Skin Care Routine for Oily/Combination
"Desi Perkins" YouTube Guru talks about her skin care routine
Skin Care Routine Habit
I wanted to write about something so simple yet difficult for it to become a everyday routine. That is a regular skin care routine. I can't stress it enough how important it is to cleanse your skin weather you wear make up or not. It does take time to purchase the right products for your skin type, it also takes a lot of money out of your pockets, and it takes great difficult to apply those products as a routine as well, however you need to start taking care of your skin as soon as possible before it gets out of control.
Without a good skin care routine you may end up with acne prone skin, dehydrated skin, dullness and uneven skin tone. The appearance of wrinkles may appear a lot quicker as well. The skin also does start to loose its original texture leaving it dry. This is when you end up spending a lot more money than keeping a regular skin care routine.
I have combination skin so this hub would benefit those with the same skin type. I used to be very oily before I had my daughter and then my hormonal changes did a roll and I started with dry skin, then very very dry skin and now combination. If you would like some recommendations on skin care then please continue to read.
Six Basic Steps for Beginners
A very basic skin care routine includes;
- Gentle cleanser for your skin type
- Serums/Skin Oil for specific skin issues such as, acne or blemishes
I will go over each in details.There are multiple ways of applying products in skin care. This will help you as a guide. With so many amazing products available and so many different articles available online now a days, you have many options and help available. Make sure you ask questions if you are not sure of something. :) I really hope this is informative enough to help you follow a skin care routine.
Make Up Removing Wipes (25 Wet Wipes)
Make Up Removing Wipes (Optional)
Ladies, this is an optional step before the cleanser because some of you may or may not wear make up! There are plenty of make up removing wipes, featuring from high-end brands to drugstore. The purchase of these really depend on your budget and how many wipes you need or even maybe its a recommendation from a close family/friend, YouTube beauty expert or just that you want to experiment with a specific company.
I am currently using the "Garnier Clean Wipes." It removes waterproof make up without rubbing it. It also calms the skin and takes of the most stubborn mascaras and eye-liners. It includes 25 wet wipes. The best feature is that it has no alcohol dye or fragrance.
I have summarized some of the best make up removing wipes for oily/combination skin. They all are for the same skin type and have same features and benefits. The only thing that differ is the cost. Hope this helps in picking your next make up removing wipes.
Various Make Up Removing Wipes
Olay Fresh Effects Everything Off!
Aveeno Positivly Radiant
Neutrogena Deep Clean
Biore Make Up Removing Towelletes
Amazon Deal for Garnier Clean+ Wipes
Cleansers to start the skin care routine procedure
Neutrogena Deep Clean 2-in-1
STEP 1: Gentle Cleanser
As I said previously, there are variety of cleansers you can choose from. I am writing about cleansers that I have used in the past and my personal views on each. Therefore, I will start with the Neutrogena-Deep Clean Cleanser/Mask. Since I found this cleanser I never went back to any other. I want to tell you quick background story of my skin and how I went through it. My skin wasn't the best in high school. I had minor acne/redness issues on my T-Zone, and I didn't know what products I should be using. At that time I was not interested in taking care of my skin because I thought it was an age factor. I never applied full coverage make up during high school.So, I went through imperfections until I finished high school. Then, during college I noticed my imperfections were fading somehow. I, then had very few redness on my T-Zone and by this time I discovered my interest in make up. So, I started to apply a tinted moisturizer with concealer.
I don't exactly remember why I started to take care of my skin after I completed my college, but I do know that I then discovered this amazing cleanser. Now that you know about my background story, I will tell you the benefits of this cleanser on oily/combination skin.
- Controls the shine on the skin while attacks the excessive oil
- Diminishes the look of impurities (dirt)
- Cleanses deep down to absorb the oil built
- Leaves skin fresh and breathable
- Oil free, doesn't clog pores, and dermatologist tested
- Wait 3-5 mins to let it dry and it will become your gentle mask
- Down part is that it will make your skin very dry afterwards, so make sure you have a moisturizer for very dry skin
In all, wash your face with luke-warm water and apply this as the first product in circular motion. You can do this for approx 1-2 mins, no more than this. Wash your face and move on to the next step of your skin procedure.
Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser
Other Gentle Cleanser Recommendations
You've read what my favorite and current skin cleaner is, however I wanted to let you that there are other options as well. These are specific for oily/combination skin and are very affordable. I have tried all of them before. Let's jump right into the details.
- Biore Combination Skin Balancing Cleanser: This is oil-free, won't clog pores, dermatologist tested, evens out the skin tone and removes dirt and impurities.
- Aveeno Ultra-Calming Foaming Cleanser: This is fragrance free, and for sensitive skin. It reduces redness and calms the skin. This cleanser can be used everyday as it won't leave your skin dry.
- Cetaphil Oily Skin Cleanser: This is what I used prior to the Neutrogena Clean & Clear. This worked wonderful as an everyday cleanser because it's gentle, soap free, pH balance, and for sensitive skin. Removes surface oil dirt, and make up without making the skin dry.
- Garnier Skin Naturals Pure 3-in-1 Cleanser: This is fairly new in the market. Most of Garnier face products are amazing. This attacks the imperfections and is for acne prone skin. It includes active ingredients like clay and zinc to absorb oil. It improves skin tone. Use it as a wash, scrub or even mask.
- St.Ives Naturally Clear Blemish Fighting Face Cleanser: It has natural micro-beads and apricot extracts. It helps reduce blemishes without over drying the skin. It is oil-free, dermatologist tested and does not contain animal ingredients. (another awesome cleanser)
Oily skin gentle skin cleansersClick thumbnail to view full-size
Price in Retail Market (well.ca/walmart.com/amazon.com & eBay.com)
Neutrogena Deep Clean Long Last Shine
Biore Combination Skin Balancing
Aveeno Ultra Calming
Cetaphil Daily Cleanser
Garnier Skin Naturals 3-in-1
St.Ives Naturally Clear Blemish Cleanser
Recommended Toner (Drugstore)
STEP 2: Toner/Astringents
I don't apply a toner on daily basis today because I feel my skin has gotten better then before. However, I do use it once a week to prevent any possible breakouts. I have to mention "Clean & Clear Deep Astringent for sensitive skin." This product works really well for me because it has a little bit of Salicylic Acid, which helps fights and prevents pimples.
Apply this with a cotton ball and to the imperfections only. Please do not apply it when it's not necessary otherwise your face will be on fire. This product does burn a bit despite of the sensitive formula that it has. Let it dry for 1-2 mins. Do not rinse the face.
Judy shared her skin routine with some high end products
Skin Oil to Rejuvenate the Skin
Sephora's Acne Prone Solution
STEP 3: Serums/Treatments/Skin Oils
There has been treatments that I have used in the past (about 3-4 years ago that did work for my imperfections including, pimples and redness) Today, I am not using any of these products mainly because I don't feel the need to. However, I do want to give some recommendations on what I used previously and I also want to reference general good skin care products for oily/combination skin.
- Skin Essence Organics Light Moisturizer Serum: With only 1-2 drops this product works amazing. Not only does it have natural ingredients but it also serves as a moisturizer under your make up. It is very light and fast absorbing. It does include anti-bacterial formula that help prevent the breakouts and clear them. This is also recommended to those with acne prone skin.
- Clinique-Acne Solutions All over Clearing Treatment: This lotion is also light weight. It is a medicated cream to help fight and prevent acne. It also controls access oil, and soothes skin. It reduces the redness and the size of open pores. It will not over dry your skin leaving it smooth.
- Ole Henriksen-Roll On Acne Solution: This is another great product for the oily, acne prone skin. This cleanser even out the skin tone and smooths it. It fights breakout and helps prevent new ones. It reduces redness and irritation. You don't have to use this everyday, this can be applied to effected areas twice a week. Apply it directly to the problem area and wait 30 seconds before you apply any another products. It won't over dry the skin.
These are some of the many products that can be used in your regular skin care routine. These are recommended according to personal use, reviews from other beauty experts and YouTube reviews.
Tati (Youtube Beauty Guru) shares reviews about Face/Body & Hair Oils
Biore Deep Cleansing Pore Strips Value Pack
If you have problem areas such as, redness, dry, patchy, even skin tone, acne or even small pimples on your face. It is highly recommended by dermatologist that you start to treat them. There is a small yet effective article for readers on "Skin Care on a Budget" by AAD (American Academy of Dermatology) which gives quick information on treatment of your skin. Please refer to the link below.
I have an issue with my T-Zone. I get blackheads and whiteheads on my forehead, chin and nose. If I don't treat them they become very prominent leaving me with very less confident. My skin quickly builds oil if I don't have a proper cleansing routine which then leads to clogged pores and the result is blackheads and whiteheads. Therefore, it is crucial for me to treat them. A very recommended product is the "Biore Deep Cleansing Pore Strips." You can purchase these in different cleansing strips and different quantity depending on how much your budget is. I use the combo pack which includes 14 strips. You can use these on your cheeks, forehead, nose and chin. The original price is $11.97 and if you wait for the sale price then it will cost you around $7-8 a pack.
There are many other treatments available for different kind of imperfections. I am in my mid 20's, so I am not worried about wrinkles or anti-aging products nor do I have any experience or education in such subject. Apart from the redness and oil on my T-Zone, I do use treatments for dark circles under my eyes (puffiness), scar treatments and lip treatments. They are all part of a daily skin care routine. I am listing a mix of these products if you are going through the same concerns.
- Clean & Clear Invisible Blemish Treatment: It is a clear gel that helps get rid of pimples. You can use it day or night. It cleans deep down where the pimple forms. It is oil-free and could be worn under make up.
- NeoStrata Secure While Anti-Dark Circle Complex: You can use this for the puffiness and dark circles. It restored a fresh and radiant eye look. It is for all ages. It has a sensitive formula which means it will not irritate the eyes.
- Bio-Oil: This product is awesome if you have stretch marks especially on your tummy after giving birth. If used occasionally it does diminish the appearance of scars, stretch marks and uneven skin tone. It also works well for dehydrated skin. It has many oil ingredients and the fragrance of rose.
- Suki 2-Step Ultra Soft Lip Kit: This is by far one of the best lip treatments I have used till date. It is pricey however it is a great value for the result of the product. It creates smoothness from the redness on the lips, dry raw lips. Helps reduce the appearance of cracks and dehydration of lips. It has a sensitive formula for those sensitive lips.
Oily Skin Treatments (Drugstore)Click thumbnail to view full-size
Neutrogena Blackhead Eliminating 2-in-1
STEP 4: Relax Yourself with a Mask
I love applying face masks! They can be very affordable and easy to use. They leave a great freshness to the skin while maintaining its natural tone. Here is a very detailed article that explains "10 things no one ever tells you about face masks!" (http://stylecaster.com/beauty-high/face-masks-facts/) This is an great article that explains the reasons of having a face mask in your daily skin care routine.
I use different types of face masks all the time. Some of my favorite are detailed below.
- Freeman Feeling Beautiful Mint & Lemon Facial Clay Mask Sachet: This is probably one of the most affordable masks I have ever used. It comes as a sachet to make it easy friendly for travelling. It soothes skin from the inflammation of the breakouts. Clay absorbs oil to minimize shine and large pores. Mint and lemon is a great combinations for cooling and relaxation.
- Montagne Jeunesse Cucumber Peel off Masque: This one cleanses the pores. Cucumbers are very beneficial for your skin. This one is especially formulated to help the T-Zone imperfections. It removes the dead cells and clears impurities.
- Freeman Feeling Beautiful Pomegranate Revealing Peel-Off Mask: I have been using this one for years as well, and it never disappoints me. Takes off the dirt and excess oil. It is a blend of 8 antioxidant including, blueberry, cranberry, Mango, Noni, and much more. It can be used 2- times a week as its very gentle on the skin.
- Neautrogena Long Last Shine Control: This was mentioned previously. Its a 2-in-1 cleanser/mask that attacks the dirt and oil as well.Once you wash off the mask you skins literally feels rejuvenated. Amazing product!
- Neutrogena Blackhead Eliminating 2-in-1 cleanser mask: I just started using this about 2 weeks ago, and I love it so far. I purchased this mainly for the blackheads and whiteheads on the T-zone, and it's doing a great job so far. I only use it once a week because I also use the Clean & Clear Blackhead strip in conjunction to the mask.
This is it for my list guys. The ones I am using currently are mostly from drugstore and very affordable. I am sure there are high end mask that work even better but I can't talk about them as I have not used them yet. I will be doing an updated skin care routine once I explore more of the high end brands for you guys!
Gentle Masks Oily/Combination SkinClick thumbnail to view full-size
Alexandra's DIY Mask Oily Skin
STEP 5: Moisturize & Complete
This is the final step for my cleansing routine. After using many products prior, you need to have some sort of a moisturizer to nourish your skin. Make sure your moisturizer is according to your skin type, for example if you have oily/combination, then the same kind should be used. My absolute favorite moisturizer right now is the "Olay Complete Moisturizer." Below is the description of this and many more that should suit oily/combination skin.
- Olay All Day Complete: It is SPF 15, contains vitamin E & C, 100% Oil free & PABA free (paraaminobenzoic acid - referred to as sun block), it gives the skin all day hydration, UVA/UVB protection. This also works really well under your make up routine.
- Nivea Pro & Natural Moisturizing Night Care: Nivea mainly produces products either for dry, very dry skin &/or sensitive skin. Oily/Combination skin types can feel very dry at night, so this is a great moisturizer to eliminate that dryness. Its for all skin types, made with all natural ingredients, Overall, it leaves the skin very soft and smooth.
- Cetaphil Daily Moisturizer: Another awesome moisturizer I own is the "Cetaphil Daily." It is a light, oil free moisturizer for all skin types. It is non greasy, dermatologist tested, and it can be used under make up.
In all, I have only listed the ones that I am using, my reviews are based on my personal use, YouTube reviews and various other articles and blogs online. I am sure there are many options available as I only listed the drugstore. There are other stores and brands that are awesome and work really good. Again, once I do try the high end brands on regular use then I will do an updated skin care routine using only those brands.
Moisturize to Complete the Skin Routine
Thinking of starting a skin care routine?
After reading this aricle, do you see yourself applying a 'Everyday Skin Care Routine"?
Thank You for Reading
This completes this article, ladies! I hope you enjoyed reading about several options available for oily/combination skin. I hope that I motivated you enough for you to start your own skin routine. I want to thank you all for reading this article. Thank you for coming back to my hub! I will talk to you all in my next one.
© 2015 Hina