DIY Matte Nail Polish
Matte Nail Polish ~
Did you know there was such a thing? The idea of matte nail polish may not be everyone’s choice but it does throw up great interesting options.
If you love the idea of pops of neon color but need it toned down for the office or college, matte polish will give you that versatility. Sometimes the shiny, glossy look is too much or too distracting. Maybe we feel too mature to wear certain shades. Matt gives you the best of both worlds; the color but in a less obvious way.
When this idea hit the fashion trends it was instantly the buzz word on all fashionista’s lips and then their nails sported the latest craze.
Videos went viral and it has been played with and incorporated into fabulous nail art designs. From Channel to L’Oreal, matte nails are big business for these cosmetic houses and the sales back this up. The biggest trend around that you can easily recreate.
Funk it Up With Nail Art
Versatile Nail Polish
- Homemade Lemon and Lime Hand Scrub
This lemon and lime hand scrub is one homemade skin essential suited for men and women. Often neglected our hands will be rejuvenated into being smooth and soft with sugar, olive oil, lemon and lime.
DIY Trendy Talons at Your Fingertips ~
Maybe you are not into nail polish or stick to a French manicure.
If you have young teenagers, nieces or grandchildren I guarantee you they will love the idea or at least want to try it.
These simple ideas are such cool ways of achieving the matte look easily with no extra cost as you have what you need in the kitchen or your make-up.
I love trying different ways of cutting down on spending by making my own DIY versions and when I heard of these ideas well, they had to put to the Suzie test .
As a Beauty Therapist and Freelance Make-Up Artist, painting nails was something I did daily on clients, family, friends and on yours truly so when matte became the new texture, I was intrigued and excited.
Remember, these simple solutions were here long before the commercial pots of mattified nail polishes and top coats!
Water is All You Need
- Homemade Lemon and Lavender Cuticle Cream
Dry flaky nail cuticles will be a thing of the past with this nourishing cuticle cream. Homemade with Cocoa Butter, Shea Butter Beeswax, Coconut Oil, Vitamin E Oil , Lemon and Lavender. Pure Luscious!
Tone Down, Steam Up ~
This easy matte look won’t cost you a cent and if you are into multi-tasking then this is for you! I love it so simple but the steam really does matte regular nail polish.
- If you are boiling water for any reason such as pasta, boiled egg or even soup then steam your nails too! You have to steam your nail polished hands while they are still wet.
- Apply basecoat first.
- Apply regular nail polish and immediately place your hands over the steaming saucepan taking care not to burn them.
- I find bending the fingers at the knuckles (as if you were scratching something) works best so the fingernails are directly over the steam.
- Before you know it your nail polish will have turned matte.
- If you put regular top coat on now it brings it back to shine.
- For a funky look do the tips in top coat for that matte and shine combo.
- Check the video out of Michelle’s easy steam method while she makes dinner!
Matte Nails Using Steam
Corn Starch Remedy ~
I love this one, is there ANYTHING corn starch (also known as corn flour) does not do?
Perfect if you are not in range of a stove or want to do your nails elsewhere. You can use this one of two ways. Do your nail polish or do your top coat, it works both ways.
Don't forget to clean your applicator brush afterwards before putting it back into your bottle.
Matte Nail Polish -
- Apply your basecoat.
- Add some of your nail polish to a mixing container such as an old lid off a jar.
- Using a cocktail stick or disposable spatula, start to add corn starch, about 2-3 teaspoons, and mixing well.
- When mixed, apply immediately over nails.
- The consistency is a little heavier and takes a little bit of adjustment so make sure you apply evenly.
- As it dries you will it dry to a matte finish.
- Check out the video tutorial on this method which includes the two tone effect!
- Well worth watching
Matte Topcoat -
- If you want a matte top coat, use the same method.
- Apply over regular polish to turn it matte or use over a matte nail polish.
Turning Your Nail Polish Into a Matte Finish With Corn Starch - 1 million hits!
Eyeshadow or Nail Polish?
- Easy Homemade Hand Cream Recipe
Ever thought of making your own lavender hand cream? Chemical free, all natural hand cream recipe will give you a wonderful luxurious hand treat that leaves your hands soft, supple and moisturized.
Eyeshadow Color ~
The third idea is a creative one to make your own color combos or to match your nails to eye make-up.
Use broken powder eyeshadows, colors you do not wear or scrape a little of your favorite eyeshadow shade or mix a few together. Remember to clean your top coat brush completely before placing it back into the bottle.
- For this one you need to have a clear or white nail polish and some powder eyeshadow.
- Crush some eyeshadow to a fine powder with the back of a teaspoon or disposable spatula.
- Blend it into the nail polish and mix well. The more eyeshadow you add, the stronger the pigment will be.
- Apply basecoat.
- Apply over the nails and voila, your own unique matte nail polish.
DIY With Corn Starch then Eyeshadow
DIY Lippy Solutions
- How to Make Lipstick at Home
Making your own lipstick is quick and easy at home. Using natural ingredients Beeswax, Shea Butter and Coconut Oil as the base you may customize your favorite lipstick shades naturally and safely.
- Fresh Mint Lip Gloss
For a sleek fresh natural looking lip gloss then try this easy recipe using soothing mint, nourishing almond oil and emulsifying beeswax. This luscious lippy product may be worn alone or over lipstick
- Candy Flavored Lip Gloss Recipe
Treat yourself by making a candy flavored lip gloss which is sure to be a hit. With at least 100 flavors available to choose from, your lip gloss recipe won't be short of tasty candy flavors.
- Homemade Beetroot Lip Stain
If you have never made a lip stain then step this way for a natural, quick and effective stain using beetroot powder. If a hint of color floats your boat then this easy lip stain recipe is for you.
- Minty Chocolate Lip Balm Recipe
What better combination than peppermint and chocolate for a lush homemade minty chocolate lip balm. Full of nourishing, smoothing and softening properties for the delicate lips, this combo is a must.
- Pumpkin Spice Lip Gloss or Lip Balm Recipe
Pumpkin Spice is a wonderful blend of aromatic spices that make great homemade Lip Gloss or Lip Balm recipes. Often reserved for Thanksgiving, here I show you lip recipes incorporating Pumpkin Spice.
- How to Make Homemade Layered Lip Gloss
You have heard of lip gloss but did you know of a layered lip gloss? Homemade layered gloss is easy to make and a great way of recycling old lipsticks, eyeshadows or even blush. With only a few ingredients this recipe makes a great cost effective alt
- Recipe for Making Your Own Citrus Lip Gloss
Fancy one of the citrus fruits as a flavor in an easy to make lip gloss recipe? Here I show you how to achieve your own quick and chemical free lip gloss that makes an ideal gift for family, friends or even as a party or wedding favor. These easy to
- Lip Scrub Recipe to Recondition Dry Lips
Do you suffer with dry or chapped lips? By doing a weekly homemade lip scrub will help recondition the lips restoring their natural beauty. Often neglected, our lips need help particularly in the winter months so help is on hand. With a few kitchen c
- How to Have Moist, Lush Lips
Luscious lips and most definitely hot lips are easily achieved with my beauty tips on how to have moist lush lips. Avoid dry cracked lips and instead have a pair of sexy soft lip smackers all year.
Suzie's Make-Up 101
- Quick and Easy Beauty Tips
Here are my top quick and easy beauty tips covering all the great tips and tricks of the trade I have used as a Make up Artist and Beautician. Tips include makeup, homemade products and men's beauty .
- How to Make your Cosmetics Last Longer
There are many ways to prolong your cosmetics so read my top tips on how to make your cosmetics last longer that will ultimately save you money. Start stretching your cosmetics and reap the benefits.
- Homemade Bronzing Powder
If you love having that sun-kissed look you will love this homemade bronzing powder which is quick, easy and costs a fraction of any commercial brand on the market. Read on for the recipe with tips.
- When Should You Throw Out Your Makeup?
Have you wondered when you should throw out your makeup? Is there a right time? Many women have a pile of makeup products that they keep on using but is it harmful? Read on for guidelines and tips.
- How to Find Good Quality Makeup Affordably
Do you wish you knew how to find good quality makeup brands affordably? It is very possible to buy your favorite Mac foundation or Bobbi Brown lipstick at reduced prices with a few pointers. Quality brands do not have to mean expensive so read on .
- How to Quickly Remove Eyeliner Mistakes
When you wear eyeliner it is important to know how to quickly remove any eyeliner mistakes that can happen to the best of us. Many different forms of eyeliner including liquid eyeliner and kohl pencil are available commercially so avoid panda eyes!
- How to Apply Makeup on Kids
Kids have long had a fascination with makeup and love it when mom applies makeup on them. How to apply makeup on kids requires a little thought on products, application and just what is sensible. Ultimately it is up to parents to decide.
- Makeup Craft Ideas for Teens
Teenage girls love makeup so why not show them some great makeup craft ideas at home. Makeup is expensive so here I have put together some of the top must have color cosmetics, teenage girls love. They are all easy and quick to make at home.
- Homemade Mascara Recipe
If you ever wondered if making mascara was possible then wonder no more. Here is an easy recipe using 4 ingredients that really do work at separating, coating and conditioning the eyelashes.
- Creme Blush Recipe
Creme Blush gives a soft dewy natural look to our complexion. Easily made at home creme blush is an incredibly popular form of blush so read on for recipes, tips and comparisons with powder blush.
- How to Apply Loose Powder Eyeliners
Applying eyeliner in loose powder form is easy and by using existing eyeshadow colors, is a great way of saving your cash. Eyeliner should not be feared and yet it is by many women so let me give you some well chosen tips and advice on eyeliners.
Food for Thought . . .
Turning your own polish into a matte finish is so easily done and a bit of fun too. With three different options available you can try them out and if you don't like it just pop a clear top coat on to bring it back, simple!
"Creating health awareness through homemade beauty solutions"
Author Info ~
Information on the author, her bio and full body of works available @ Suzie HQ
Credit to sharkye11 ~
- Dividers on this page are used with permission from this source: Line Dividers To Enhance Webpages
© 2013 Suzanne Ridgeway