- Fashion and Beauty»
- Skin Care
Vanilla and Coconut Body Moisturizer
Vanilla and Coconut ~
Whoever decided vanilla and coconut would make a sensual warming combination deserves a place in history. It has been jumped on by the commercial market and is commonly found in many types of products from perfume to body scrubs with a large range of price tags.
They are a combination I love and this recipe really pays homage to their wonderful aromatic notes by keeping other scents to a minimum so as not to overpower.
Both these ingredients are frequently used in cooking for their wonderful flavor and here I kick them up a notch to show how easy making your own body moisturizer is. Nourishing, protecting, softening, moisturizing and luscious. What more do you need?
Silky Smooth Skin
- How to Make Lavender Oil
Lavender oil is produced as an essential oil or an infused oil. Originating in the wild thousands of years ago, it has become the most versatile member of the mint family with its many culinary and medicinal benefits.
Lip Balm or Body Moisturizer?
Infused Oil ~
I decided to utilize vanilla beans and infuse them in jojoba oil. Check out the method on my vanilla bean body scrub.
I started this awhile ago as it takes at least a month to get it infused with the gorgeous beans and seeds.Trust me though, it is worth it!
Your other option is to buy Vanilla Absolute and not infuse the oil.
This is extremely costly and going the organic route can set you back $60 for 1/2 oz bottle.
Absolute is the best to use in Vanilla for skin care and fragrance and “buyers beware” is important saying to remember when purchasing vanilla.
If you see vanilla essential oil, walk on. There is no such thing.
Cut Vanilla Beans
Allow it Set
Exquisite Vanilla planifolia
Vanilla and Coconut Body Moisturizer Recipe ~
47g coconut oil
22 g infused vanilla jojoba oil
10g castor oil
15 g beeswax
Double boiler (saucepan and measuring jug or glass bowl)
Small container 3-4 oz (pot, salve pot, jar or lip balm)
- Add the beeswax, coconut oil, castor oil and vanilla infused jojoba oil into the double boiler on the stove at low heat to melt. Stir occasionally.
- When completely melted, remove from heat.
- Pour into your container or containers carefully.
- Allow to cool and set.
- Pop on lid when solidified and store in a cool dark cupboard or the fridge. Remove from fridge 10 minutes before using to give it time to soften at room temperature.
- This will last months if needed, approximately 4-6 months.
This is best applied when the skin is warm, just after a shower or bath.
Remove a small amount with a plastic spatula, cocktail stick or teaspoon. NEVER fingers!
What is gorgeous about this recipe is it is suitable for the hands, cuticles, feet, legs body, face and even the hair!
Coconut Vanilla Body Cream using Coconut Oil, Shea Butter, Sweet Almond Oil and Vanilla Absolute
More Vanilla Ideas
- Aromatic DIY Gift Ideas Using Vanilla Beans
Simplicity is key for utilizing aromatic vanilla beans as interesting and unique gifts in DIY vanilla extract, sugar and salt. These ideas are perfect for vanilla fans everywhere in 4 easy recipes.
Suggestions and Tips ~
- Instead of using infused oil you can easily use:
22 g jojoba oil or oil of choice
20 drops vanilla absolute
- Instead of jojoba you can use sweet almond oil, grapeseed oil, sunflower oil or any carrier oil you feel will work. Use one low in fragrance.
- Use the infused oil on its own as a body oil, massage oil or oil based perfume all in one delicious application.
- Apart from this multi-functional moisturizer, if this is a combination you can’t get enough of why not make a selection of products? Lip balm, whipped body butter, perfume, body scrub, body oil and massage oil. It makes a perfect gift idea and is economical to make.
- How to Make Perfume Fragrance Last Longer
Making your favourite perfume last longer is easy to do by applying some simple guidelines and tips. Perfume fragrance is something men and women have enjoyed for centuries so read on to find out my top tips for achieving a longer lasting scent.
- Homemade Eau de Cologne For Men
Refreshing Eau de Cologne is easy to make at home with natural essential oils. Here I have 3 recipes for men that are inspired by the very first homemade Cologne so read on for recipes, tips and more!
- Homemade Sensual Solid Perfume Recipe For Women
Making your own sensual solid perfume is easily accomplished and will cost a fraction of designer perfumes. Homemade perfume with essential oils is an ideal signature fragrance recipe idea for women.
- Top 10 Carrier Oils for Homemade Beauty Products
Carrier Oils or base oils are present in the majority of homemade beauty products and are an essential ingredient to add. There are a large amount of carrier oils available so here is my top 10 list.
Think Ahead for Gift Ideas
- Beauty Solutions From The Past
The past holds the key to some very unusual beauty secrets of women from many different cultures. Some were deadly and life threatening and some have stood the test of time. Here are some bizarre ones
Food for Thought . . . .
The history of perfume is as old as the human race.
The past has unlocked such a wealth of knowledge that we use today. Perfumes and use of ingredients is one huge area. The Egyptians, Romans, Greeks, Arabs in fact many cultures around the world all have their own discoveries and uses of plants. It was through the centuries and more modern day technology that we started interfering with natures best and added chemicals and synthetic fragrance.
This recipe brings us back to basics with oils beeswax and vanilla beans which make up a beautiful fragrant moisturizer that can be made for less than $4 using organic ingredients.
"Creating health awareness through homemade beauty solutions"
Author Info ~
Information on the author, her bio and full body of works available @ Suzie HQ
Credit to homesteadbound ~
All dividers used in this hub are used with permission granted on hub, Creating Dividers to Use on Your Hubs
© 2013 Suzanne Ridgeway