Wahl 79300-400 Color Pro Haircut & Grooming Kit Review
At the outset, it must be made clear that the trimmer hums and vibrates very strongly which becomes particularly intense when used behind the ears.
For those people who do not like that or are very sensitive to vibration, it is best to avoid the trimmer altogether.
However, if you are comfortable with the noise and vibration, the performance of the device will more than make up for that little inconvenience.
The Wahl 79300-400 trimmer comes with the following features and specifications as standard:
- Main hair clipper with strong vibration motor for continuous operation. The PowerDrive cutting system offers 35% more power than conventional hair trimmers.
- Easy cutting length adjustment with integrated lever from 1 to 3 mm with only one hand. Made in USA.
- Color-coded guide combs make it easy at any time to remember your personal cutting length preference (for example, 3mm = red, purple = 6mm, 10mm = blue, etc ....)
- Precision self-sharpening blade set in high-quality carbon-steel Professional cutting with even results.
- 10 attachment combs 3, 6, 10, 13, 16, 19, 22 and 25mm, comb for right and left ear, cleaning brush, lubricating oil for cutting set and hard case.
Most battery operated trimmers wear out quickly which is attributable to the fact that the battery models have to convert AC to DC to allow for a small electric motor to be driven via rotary motion. This rotary motion must be in a back and forth manner to be properly implemented, thus the vibration and humming noise.
This wear and tear often leads to the gradual reduction of the shave quality over time and eventually the device ceases to operate as intended and has to be disposed of.
The Wahl 79300-400 Color Pro avoids this pitfalls of a purely battery operated device. And while this means that free movement is limited, the long (230cm) and flexible cable does not interfere with your shaving experience.
The machine will purr continuously as it effortlessly trims your hair to the required length. Its blue coated housing creates a comfortable grip and the design is well thought out as it feels good on the hand no matter how you hold it.
As for the shaving head, it narrows at the front which makes it convenient to shave especially around the ears. The drawback with the device is that the device is made from continuous plastic without noticeable subdivisions. Due to this lack of subdivisions, the Wahl 79300-400 it means that the shaving blades are enclosed which could lead to the bending especially for the longer ones.
Another thing that you will notice is that the device is significantly heavier than conventional trimmers. But when you turn it on it glides flawlessly along the cutting area which mitigates this initial flaw.
The colour coded caps for different lengths are very beautiful. In addition to the long shaving attachments, there are attachments specifically meant to tackle difficult areas around the chin and ears.
Pros of the Wahl 79300-400
- Storage case as standard
- Various sized comb attachments
- Strong, though slightly loud motor
- Ergonomic handling
- Variety of fittings and accessories such as the combs and scissors
- Ease of use – after two minutes it is ready for use
- Outstanding price/performance ratio
- The shaving head is very sharp – care should therefore be taken to avoid cuts especially when the attachments are off.
- Non-slip design
- Long and flexible cable compensates for the lack of free movement
- In addition to the already extensive comb sizes (3-28 mm), there are two combs that are not specified in the product description – the 1.5mm and another w-shaped attachment for cutting contours.
- The strong and constant output gives a significantly more accurate cutting performance as compared to more pricey cordless devices. The transitions are also much nicer (especially with the two tapering ridges for the ear areas) which means you do not have to go through the same area many times in order to get a satisfactory result.
- The colour coded combs are a simple, novel and effective idea.
Cons of the Wahl 79300-400
- Lack of storage compartments in the storage case increases risk of damage
- Quite heavy, but handy all the same
- Loud motor
- Build quality is acceptable but since both plastic and metal parts have hard edges and ridges that are extremely thin, the protective case might arrive when already bent
The Wahl 79300-400 shaver is a good, fairly priced device with a strong motor. Though it is louder than normal as compared to other devices, it is a trade-off that one can live with given its robust performance. For the reasons mentioned above, the 79300-400 is a recommended device to keep in your personal grooming arsenal.