- Fashion and Beauty»
- Hairstyles, Cool Cuts, How to Style Your Hair
How to Tell What Shape Your Face Is: Quiz to Find the Most Flattering Hairstyle
Whether you're a man or a woman, knowing your face shape can help you pick the hairstyles that look good on you. Whether you're looking for a cool modern look, a vintage hairstyle or just the best hairstyle option for you, a flattering hairstyle not only makes your face look more attractive, but also makes you feel more confident. Wearing the right hairstyle for your face shape is important to choosing a hairdo. But the first step is figuring out what face shape you have. so you can style your hair so it looks great. Learn how to tell the shape of your face
Want Actual Pictures? See Examples of Face Shapes
You can view photos of male and female face shapes of all kinds in What Hairstyle Suits You: The Best Hairdo for the Round, Oval or Square Face Shape.
How to Tell the Shape of Your Face
Look in the mirror when your hair is wet so you can see the shape of your face unobstructed. Keep your face straight, neither tipping up nor down. Or, take a photo of yourself facing straight ahead. A photo can be easier to examine objectively than your image in the mirror.
The shape of your face is only a little bit about how chubby or thin it is; it's more about your bone structure.
Answer these face shape quiz questions:
- Does your face seem almost as broad as it is long? Do your cheekbones bulge out even when you aren't smiling? Is the top of your head round? Your face shape is probably round.
- Do you have a square jaw and/or a prominent chin? Is your jaw nearly in the same line as your chin? Do you have high or small cheekbones? Is your face at least as wide at the jaw level as at your cheekbones? Is the top of your head almost straight? Your face is probably square.
- Is your forehead the most prominent part of your face? Are your cheekbones and jaw not very noticeable? Does your face seem straight on the sides and curve in at your chin? Is the top of your head round? Your face is probably oval.
- Does your face look round at your cheek, but narrows down gradually to a pointy chin? Is your face neither long nor short? Is the top of your head broad? You have a heart-shaped face.
Face Shape and Hairstyling Tips
As you classify your face shape, keep in mind that:
All face shapes can be beautiful--there's nothing wrong with a round face or square face or very long face.
You may have noticed that your face isn't just one shape--most people have a combination of face shapes--like long and square--or the shape is different on top than on the bottom. That's normal.
Sometimes a long neck or some extra pudge can make it hard to tell what shape your face is.
If you have a difficult time figuring out the shape of your face, consult with a beautician or poll your friends.
When you compare hairstyles others are wearing, remember that what works for them may not work for you. Your features, coloring, the way you talk and smile and other factors all affect how good a particular hairstyle looks on you.
See the author's disclosure concerning compensation for this article.