jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

How did the style of suits and ties for men get started?

1. eonsaway profile image59
    eonsawayposted 8 years ago

How did the style of suits and ties for men get started?

2. gusripper profile image37
    gusripperposted 8 years ago

i dont know but if i knew i could kill the guy who made them first

3. stricktlydating profile image82
    stricktlydatingposted 8 years ago

Tailoring of men’s suits developed in Europe during twelfth and fourteenth centuries. Through the renaissance the primary function of clothing was to cover the body but it shifted to using clothing to emphasize certain physical features.

4. profile image0
    reeltaulkposted 8 years ago

Just like everything else did, to make a buck.... to be quite dramatic as well as to show status and importance!   ie:  Handsome Suit....why thank you I purchased it from Tiffanys last, due to my promotion of course.   Is that so--------Congrats chap...congrats

5. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 7 years ago

150 years ago the matching pants and coats of the cut we know today were actually considered casual. In the early 1800s, men wore fitted short coats with tails. In the mid-1800s, men started wearing long frock coats with a cinched-in waist. The tailcoats were relegated to formal evening wear. In the late 1800s, the more casual "sack suits" (as they were called) began replacing frock coats. Today, suits have been replaced in most business environments by business casual shirtsleeves and golf shirts. The history of men's fashion is one of an ever-increasing tendency toward clothing that is more casual.

working