jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

What is the best process for cleaning an antique ring?

1. Norah Casey profile image69
    Norah Caseyposted 6 years ago

What is the best process for cleaning an antique ring?

I got engaged this weekend and am concerned about damaging the ring using standard jewelry cleaning methods.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6043013_f260.jpg

2. Anamika S profile image59
    Anamika Sposted 6 years ago

First of all, congratulations on your engagement. If it is an antique ring, then I would suggest that you don't take the risk of cleaning it at home as it can get damaged. Take it to an Expert Jeweler to get it cleaned and polished.

3. Sadie14 profile image88
    Sadie14posted 6 years ago

I would say Tarnex but since it's an antique I don't want you to ruin it! Maybe call your local jewler and ask them if it would be safe.

4. SylviaSky profile image95
    SylviaSkyposted 6 years ago

Jewelers today clean by steaming or by ultrasonic cleaners (sound waves only), depending on type of metal, its thinness and age. If you are truly concerned ask the pros. An old ring might also have loose or worn prongs that only a jeweler can repair. Don't rub the antique ring with a paste. To get it clean at home use Windex and an old toothbrush.

5. Nagatang profile image74
    Nagatangposted 6 years ago

To me....if it is Antique & you want it that way just lightly brush it to clean the dust away. If you polish it, it will look new & lost it antiquity.

6. profile image0
    Pghposted 6 years ago

If you want an at-home remedy, try using a little bit of toothpaste and gently clean with a small jewelry cleaning brush often found included with jewelry cleaning solutions or buy a soft silver cleaning cloth.

7. tribook profile image60
    tribookposted 6 years ago

My mother in law is a hygienist and they sometimes put rings in their ultrasonic cleaner and it comes out sparkling!  Ask at your dentist the next time you go and they will probably do it for free but I can't say if it would be smart for an antique ring.

8. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image98
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 6 years ago

Never use toothpaste on silver or gold...toothpaste will scratch it.  The same is true for using toothbrushes.  The advice to let a pro clean it is the best thing to do.  If you ruin  a ring like this, it's gone.

9. Weldon Jewellers profile image60
    Weldon Jewellersposted 4 years ago

don't use ultrasonic until you know the nature of the centre stone, you risk damaging it. in the short term, warm soapy water and a soft toothbrush should be fine.

working